Thread: Chassis paint color

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chassis paint color

When I bought my 57 TR-3 40 years ago the chassis was painted black. I am in the midst of a chassis off restoration and I notice that there are spots on the chassis that show it was originally the Winchester blue of the original body color. I am about to ship the chassis off to be sandblasted and wondered what the opinion of this group is as to which color I should repaint it, black or Winchester blue.

The way I see it black makes it easy to pick from a variety of paint sources I am leaning toward going with a marine based paint on the chassis. The Winchester blue will bring me back the original color as built. My intention is to restore this car to concourse condition. The question with that is will I lose scoring points if the chassis is the wrong color?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Re: Chassis paint color

I've heard of chassis painted in various colors, but the vast majority were painted black. You can read through the TRA guidelines I linked to below, but black would be a a safe bet. How would any judge know what the original color was? Or even what the original color of the body was. They are only interested in it being an original color. The judges are used to seeing a black chassis...can't go wrong with that.

https://triumphregister.com/title/
    Art
    '58 TR3A TS236xxL
    '92 Mazda Miata -- Supercharged
    '07 Mazda RX-8
    '11 Mazda CX-7

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Black is boring. If you have a chassis that's known to have been another color, why not go original? At a show, just have a copy of the Judging Standards to wave at the judges when the time comes. IIRC, Piggott's books mention the colored chassis paint as well. BNe sure to take photos of the existing blue paint to help document your car. My '55 TR2 has a black chassis now, but the restoration photos clearly show it to originally have been Signal Red. Wish the guy who restored the car had done the right thing and painted the chassis the proper red.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Black is standard, but the painter at the factory would often clean the gun by spraying out his last color. Looking for concours, in your case, I would either go straight black, for which you cannot go wrong...Or, document the blue with pictures and return it to the same condition you found it.

That said, be aware that it is very likely you are only seeing the blue from a later repair overspray. You can tell during the sandblasting. If there is black under the blue...then your frame was black and got oversprayed during a later repair/paint job. If the blue is, indeed, on bare metal, then the factory sprayed the blue, and you can document and duplicate it.
    John

1955 TR2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If you intend to rebuild the car to concourse conditions you need to get a copy of the TRA judging standards and read it from cover to cover before you do anything else.
    Joe

'58 TR3A TS33077L
    '75 TR6 CF37629U
    www.cptc.org

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the answers, Another question. The differential (not the axels though) is an orange red color which shows up in some literature as a color that was used on some mechanical parts. I also thought I saw a reference that I can not now find that the 4.1:1 rear ends had the differential painted red (red/orange). Does this ring a bell with anyone else? Or am I imagining things?

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tkohrs View Post
    Thanks for the answers, Another question. The differential (not the axels though) is an orange red color which shows up in some literature as a color that was used on some mechanical parts. I also thought I saw a reference that I can not now find that the 4.1:1 rear ends had the differential painted red (red/orange). Does this ring a bell with anyone else? Or am I imagining things?
    As far as I know the differentials and covers were all black. According to Judging Standards, "the external surfaces of the rear brakes, suspension, and axle assemblies were usually painted black".
    Tom
    1960 TR3A TS73117 (under endless restoration, owned since 1964)
    1959 TR3A TS58023 (in case I never finish the one above)
    1969 Triumph Herald 13/60 (a whim)
    1970 Lotus Elan Plus 2 /0023/N
    1992 BMW325IC (fun to drive)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

+1. The diffs were all black, with a smudge of color on the rear cover to tell the ratio. Green was the standard 3.70. I don’t remember the 4.11 color right now (getting old). The color you are describing is “red oxide” anti rust paint, which is a very common primer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

A white spot denoted the 4.1:1 ratio.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

With Winchester Blue being a rare (1957 only) color and I knew the chassis was originally that color, that would be my choice!
    Keith

1957 TR3 TS20447LO (2017-)
    1962 TR3B TCF1183L (1979-1982)
    1966 Spitfire MKII (1972-1975)

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I find this British Pathe video of the Coventry plant interesting since it shows more light colored frames then dark ones. Dennis

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/c...query/Coventry

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mixdenny For This Useful Post:

Andrew Mace  (07-19-2019)