Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Scuttle shake.

Good afternoon,
    i have posted about my car before. One thing has lead to another and because of the inequities with my car Iíve elected to do a full frame off restoration.
    I took the windscreen off and discovered that the previous caretaker had not only installed the wrong year shroud but that they took a short cut and hid the parting line under the windscreen it is completely disconnected from the dash, would this contribute to scuttle shake?
    The car obviously took a major broadside as the scuttle support on the frame is bent inboard. I noticed a small crack at the shock mount.
    Iím inclined to replace the shroud and straighten anything bent, weld the fissures properly and make sure the frame is straight. If anyone could lend a bit of advice I would be deeply grateful, thanks - jeff

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Scuttle shake.

Some scuttle shake has been attributed to rear brake drums needing balancing. Hendrix wire wheel does this procedure.

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

I'm not being snarky--for once--and I sympathize with your plight, but at this point mightn't it be better to find another candidate for what will likely end up being a full frame-off resto? Dunno which car you have, but you will almost certainly be way underwater on it when it's done (not that that's a major concern for most of the owners here). Also, many reproduction parts are of dubious quality, which can add to the effort and frustration you will encounter. OTOH, if you really like this car then go for it; it's definitely an experience you won't soon forget (though you may want to).

Scuttle shake can have many causes, and in most cases it is probably a combination. In addition to the aforementioned brake drums, unbalanced, untrued wheels can cause or contribute, and the chassis of Healeys--esp. the scuttle/bulkhead you mentioned--is simply not as robust as it should be (some weld in bracing in the gearbox tunnel, not sure what the efficacy is). Also, shake is common in older convertibles--and, from what I hear in some newer ones--our '65 Mustang convertible has a shake almost identical to my Healeys. My father was a factory rep for Ford, and told me 'They all do it.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

I'm sorry this car has turned out to have some hidden problems. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-bj8-mk-iii-8/ I suppose cutting the shroud the way they did for the repair could contribute to scuttle shake. It would remove some support from that heavy BJ8 windshield and frame. The rest of this car looks very nice and perhaps you wouldn't need to do a full frame-off restoration. Try to hold out for finding an original shroud (with the right number of lights, of course) as some of the repros can have fitting problems. As far as the crack in the shock mount, take a look at these methods for strengthening that area: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/...-reinforcement If you do have to source a new shroud, I'd ask around for some references of people that have already fitted the product. This fellow in the UK seems to know his stuff, but I have no personal experience with them: https://www.facebook.com/Dave-Hardwi...J7mPwvUixvnQJU
    Last edited by HealeyRick; 07-16-2019 at 07:45 AM.
    Rick

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good morning,
    Thanks to all of you for your responses.
    Bob I have a 66 mustang convertible restomod I've done. The scuttle shake in that car can be cured by adding a proper monticarlo bar and shock tower support. I will be glad to share images of my mustang if you contact me at jeffdaniels@sbcglobal.net.

The saga of this Healey will be an epic tale to be sure, Never buy a car from an unknown source site unseen, my bad. I really deserve everything I got.
    Unfortunately at this time in history, personal integrity means little and it's about the almighty profit margin. I likely paid about 15k to much for this car.

knowing little about his car I had a vehicle and road worthy inspection performed that cost me a lot of money and I was told that the car was a great vehicle.
    The mechanic adjusted the valves and allegedly the carbs, inspected the wheels tires and changed it over to negative ground.
    The car seemed to run fine other than the scuttle shake and the overheating issue.
    The car got a flat and was leaking something weird so I pulled the wheel off and in big bold red letters it said Used -fix a flat 1999 The whole side wall was split from wheel to tread, I had that car to 90 miles an hour I could have easily Died.

My friend roger started helping me with the overheating issue and we discovered that the carbs had never been touched and all the settings were frozen which prompted us to send them for rebuilding.
    We sent the carbs to Dana of SU carbs, That was a disaster, never ever use that person he will ruin your carbs.
    Roger and I started taking the car apart and found that the fuel system leaked badly, the wiring harness was toast as well as the wheels, tires hubs ,fuel tank and pump.

At this point I'm too far down the line to look back, I'll be underwater for a while, it's ok I'm well familiar with breathing from a straw from deep below the surface!

Some positive things On my side are I own a well appointed metal fabrication shop with a lift and a very large pram blasting cabinet and have
    the expert help of roger who lives very close to my shop.
    I'm building a rotisserie and sending the Healey to be soda blasted as soda blasting seems to be the safest on aluminum.

I met a guy locally that has a shroud from a 100-6 that needs the under the grill portion of the shroud swapped out . I already own that patch panel and he is willing to trade the shroud for the rotisserie when I'm done with it.
    I did a swap with a painter so the paint and body work are basically free at this point. I have all the tools to make new fuel and brake lines.
    The engine was rebuilt when I bought the car and seemingly they did a nice job. The interior was new and nicely done.
    I'm confident this frame off will go smoothly. I'll keep you posted, I'll likely be leaning on the forum for future advice. Thank you all for your contributions so far! -Jeff