• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ignition light

Country flag
Hi everyone,
I’ve never had an ignition light on our tachometer. When I removed the tach, I found the expected opening in the bottom, however it looks nothing like the other light mounts behind the instruments. I did find a taped off loose white wire coming across from the ignition switch, and another taped off wire coming out of the harness. Now what?
Thanks
Larry
Oh, it’s a 1957 BN4

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Referring to the wiring diagram - ignition "No Charge Warning Lamp" powered by a white wire from the ignition switch via the starter solenoid; yellow wire from the voltage regulator 'D' terminal.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hi everyone,
I’ve never had an ignition light on our tachometer. When I removed the tach, I found the expected opening in the bottom, however it looks nothing like the other light mounts behind the instruments. I did find a taped off loose white wire coming across from the ignition switch, and another taped off wire coming out of the harness. Now what?
If that loose wire coming out of the harness is yellow and coming from the D terminal of the voltage regulator (AKA Control Box), the ignition light connects to it and the white wire. It does not connect to ground.

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
Well, that’s it. Both wires were white, but upon further searching, the wire coming in from the D was yellow, spliced to a white. So my second white was really yelllow. Thanks. No ground?

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
No ground; the light lights based on the difference in voltage between the white ignition wire and no voltage from the yellow D wire. If the voltage is the same in both wires, the generator is functioning and the light is out.

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
Thanks John, that makes sense. And Steve, talked to Toms Import and will order the diagram. Thanks!

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
No ground; the light lights based on the difference in voltage between the white ignition wire and no voltage from the yellow D wire. If the voltage is the same in both wires, the generator is functioning and the light is out.

Explains why you can't use an LED for the ignition light; however, I did so for years and it seemed to work (no idea why). I put a bulb back in a couple years ago.

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
Hi all, wiring solved, dash wiring all repaired or replaced as needed, except for the ignition warning light. I cannot source the socket for the light. Talked to Moss and they sent me the light fitting for the gas gauge, which would be like trying to put a cat into a bucket of water. Can anyone tell me a source for this socket?
Thanks!
Larry

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hi all, wiring solved, dash wiring all repaired or replaced as needed, except for the ignition warning light. I cannot source the socket for the light. Talked to Moss and they sent me the light fitting for the gas gauge, which would be like trying to put a cat into a bucket of water. Can anyone tell me a source for this socket?
Thanks!
Larry

Did you try British Wiring?

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
No I didn’t, thanks!