Thread: A Fun 97th Birthday Party

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

A Fun 97th Birthday Party

I had the privilege Sunday afternoon to attend a 97th Birthday Party sponsored by the Tampa Bay Austin Healey Club for a very famous Austin Healey person. The one and only Gerry Coker. Designer on the AH 100 and as well as the Bugeye. Gerry and his wife were in attendance and thoroughly enjoyed the party and the cake. He provided some interesting anecdotes about his life working for Donald Healey. When I asked him him it felt to be working for Donald Healey he replied, "...it was just a job, I was a young kid ~24-25 at the time, and I didn't know enough about life at the time..." Still sharp and getting around.

Currently living in Sarasota FL, Gerry provided autographs as requested and I managed to get him to place his autograph on a special place on Bugsy IV. A great time was had by all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Gruber - Apollo Beach, FL
    Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
    Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new - At the painter starting 7/31/19

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Re: A Fun 97th Birthday Party

Awesome! He looks a lot younger than I feel.
    Rut
    Rut, '60 Bugeye, '70 MGB, '62 TR4, '66 TR4a IRS, '67 TR4a IRS, '68 TR4a IRS, '72 TR6

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is cool Jim! You need to make sure that signature doesn't get marred or worn off.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

A permanent Sharpie and signature is under grab handle. It was a great time. 3 BE’s an AH 100 and a BJ8 in attendance. At 95 degrees yesterday in took some brave souls to do top down to the picnic. Got a chance to look at a copy of new book Austin Healey Men and Machines that Gerry is a contributor for. He received copy 1 of a pre release copy as a birthday gift. A very detailed book covering all aspects of Healeys from first to last.
    Jim Gruber - Apollo Beach, FL
    Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
    Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new - At the painter starting 7/31/19

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Very, very cool, Jim. Very cool!
    65,66 Midget
    57 Berkeley, MGA
    Working on quality rather than quantity