• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Differences between BN2 and BN4 speedometer gears??

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The speedometer on the 1956 100-4 BN2 had issues. It looked fine but was disconnected when I bought the car. On hooking it up, I found that the needle bounced and floated all the way up to 120 mph, when the car was going about half that speed. Also, both odometers did not work. I took it apart and found both small phenolic? odometer gears chewed off, and that part of the mechanism appeared jammed.

So, I looked in the box of Healey gauge parts and found a number of speedometers from 100-6 and 3000 cars. Picking what looked to be the oldest one (almost certainly from a 100-6), with the best chance of matching the workings of the one from the 100-4, I took that one apart. The parts inside looked identical in design to the one from the 100-4 (Smith's made three different types over the years), and both of the little odometer gears were good. So I put that together with the face and case from the 100-4 and hooked it up. For those that don't know, the 100-4 uses a black face for the speedometer, while the 100-6 cars have white faces for the speedos, which is why I couldn't just install the newer speedometer and have it look correct.

It's much better now than before, but a couple of issues remain. I played around with calibrating the "new" speedometer, using the GPS speedometer on my phone as a reference point. After another disassembly of the speedo, I got the needle in the right spot for accuracy at 20 mph. But as the speed rises after that, the speedometer reads high. By 60 actual mph, it reads about 75 mph. Also, while both odometers now work, they turn the miles over every 8/10 or so of a mile.

The only thing I can think of is that the speedo from the 100-6 is geared differently internally than the speedo from the 100-4. I could disassemble it again and count the number of teeth on the gears, but prefer not to do that without the correct parts to put in there.

Does anyone here know the difference in gearing in these two speedos? I could send it off somewhere, but where's the fun in that?

Jake

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Differences between BT7 and BJ8 engines. Austin Healey 12
anarchy99 GT6 Body differences between gt6 and spitfire... Triumph 12
T TR2/3/3A Type A Overdrive, Physical Differences between Roadster Brands? Triumph 2
Mink TR4/4A Dash/Crash pads - differences in quality between vendors? Triumph 8
M TR2/3/3A Body Measurement differences between pre & post 60,000 TR3s Triumph 4
Jim_Gruber Seat Differences between Mk 1 and Mk 2 Spridgets 10
A Differences between 3000 models Austin Healey 8
AH224414 Differences between AHCA and AHCUSA Austin Healey 14
T TR6 Differences between TR4a and TR6 convertible tops Triumph 14
Jim_Stevens TR2/3/3A Body differences between pre- and post- 60000 TR3A Triumph 11
F Spitfire Differences between Spitfire and GT6 Chassis Triumph 2
V Differences between the 1967 sedans Jaguar 10
Scotsman BJ8 Intake Manifold Differences Austin Healey 4
Quackedo TR6 1969 Triumph TR6 Differences Triumph 18
R TR6 Radiator protection shield differences Triumph 0
Jim_Stevens TR2/3/3A Bonnet Stay rod safety latch differences Triumph 5
maxwedge5281 Front Shroud Differences: 3000 vs. BJ8 Austin Healey 5
Got_All_4 TR6 Looking at clutches and their differences for my 69 TR6 Triumph 14
J TR6 TR6 Cross Tube Differences? Triumph 6
CJD TR2/3/3A Knock Off Differences Triumph 13
MisterB Shut pillar differences? BN4 to BJ8 Austin Healey 7
D TR4/4A any major vendor differences in replacement suspension bushes? Triumph 5
R Differences in BJ7s Austin Healey 1
busybrit Healey BN4/6 bell housing vs BN7/BT7 differences. Austin Healey 2
T Differences in Armstrong Lever Arm Shocks Spridgets 1
Marvin Gruber TR4/4A TR4 hood differences Triumph 2
Scotsman GT6 GT6 early vs later model differences / upgrades Triumph 13
K TR2/3/3A Clutch and Gearbox Sleeve Differences. Triumph 12
B TR4/4A Body tub differences - TR4/4A Triumph 8
C Idler Arm Differences and Rebuild Question. Need Help! Austin Healey 2
T TR2/3/3A Type-A Overdrive Handling Differences Triumph 9
RAC68 Dimensional Differences [brake Calipers] Austin Healey 5
Marvin Gruber TR5/TR250 TR250 Engine differences Triumph 2
DanLewis Rear brake backing plate differences: Bugeye vs. later model MG Midget Spridgets 12
K TR2/3/3A Clutch disc and Pressure plate differences? Triumph 3
K TR2/3/3A Differences in Distributors? Triumph 9
Got_All_4 Fuel Tank Differences Triumph 5
W Steering column differences Spridgets 0
K TR6 Differences in Chassis on 67 TR4A and 73 TR6? Triumph 8
bugedd Bugeye bonnet differences Spridgets 9
K TR4/4A 3A and 4A Clutch Component Differences? Triumph 19
rovernut TR4/4A TR4A IRS VIN differences Triumph 9
J TR2/3/3A Frame differences in a TR3?? Triumph 17
M 4.0 V-8 for XJ8, XK8 and S-Type Differences? Jaguar 1
drooartz Starting to look for spare motor, differences? MG 2
britlover TR6 TR4A IRS body on a TR6 Frame?? Differences? Triumph 10