Thread: carpet kit

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

carpet kit

Has anyone tried one of these carpet kits on ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-TR2...sAAMXQ-BZRAu5l

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Re: carpet kit

Quote Originally Posted by sp53 View Post

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-TR2...sAAMXQ-BZRAu5l
    Hi,

I bought one about 3 year ago for my TR-3a driver. Its ok with 30 year old vinyl seats. When I replace the interior I will get a better carpet.

Roy

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

TRF has three grades of carpet. I rode/drove in a 3 with their least expensive one (loop) and i thought it was quite good. Mine came with the wilton wool but i have yet to install it.

TRF manufactures their own in house. Great customer service.
    I must keep telling myself, it's a journey, not a race...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I used the TRF kit.

GrahamP1010210.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I also used a kit from TRF, but it was about ten or twelve years ago, so I don't remember which one it was or if they even had different grades back then. Actually, I got the whole interior from them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Art
    '58 TR3A TS236xxL
    '92 Mazda Miata -- Supercharged
    '07 Mazda RX-8
    '11 Mazda CX-7

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

TRF always has the best products. I like the way TRF cut out for the E brake. What is interesting is I heard that the tr3 did not come stock with carpet, just some mats for the front. Anyways, the last time I bought a carpet kit, I bought from Moss and sent it back. Then I found a place in England and bought their kit made of wool. I believe the company was called Prestige; it was pricie I think 450.00 over ten years ago. The wool has held up real well on my driver but faded in the sun considerably. On my last project car that I sold, I made my own by creating some patterns cutting the carpet and paying a guy to sew some borders onto it. The carpet price was high, I think like 35.00 a yard for nylon. Yesterday I went up to Lowes and they had black nylon loop for like 6.00 a linear foot and the sheet was 6 feet long. The stuff looked like the stuff I paid 35.00 a yard for, so heck what to do. Move down closer to John and connive him to teach me to sew. Heck I am sure he would without any conniving. Anyways, I leaning toward the wool again, but the best price I can fine is 90.00 for 42 by 42 inch chunk and it takes 4 yards to do a tr3. Anybody know a good inexpensive wool distributor?

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sp53 View Post
    I have no knowledge of these carpets but I do find them tempting and I my try a set in the near future. I'll post when and if I do. TRF has a well deserved reputation but a price that goes with it, $480 vs $181 on eBay. That certainly got my attention.
    Also note that the wool carpets are correct for TR2s and 3s up to about TS60k but not for cars after that although they are a very nice improvement, just like wood rim steering  and 72 spoke wire wheels, nice just not correct. I still have the original rubber mats that came with TS73117 when I bought it used in 1964. One of the first things I did was to install carpets, which I recall were available through Standard Triumph. I do not remember how the rest of the car was fitted out, transmission cover, shelf behind the seats etc. Anyone know?
    Tom
    Last edited by TomMull; 07-15-2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: tags
    1960 TR3A TS73117 (under endless restoration, owned since 1964)
    1959 TR3A TS58023 (in case I never finish the one above)
    1969 Triumph Herald 13/60 (a whim)
    1970 Lotus Elan Plus 2 /0023/N
    1992 BMW325IC (fun to drive)

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sp53 wrote, "What is interesting is I heard that the tr3 did not come stock with carpet, just some mats for the front."

That's my experience, sp. My 1959 TR3A came with the rubber mats, FWIW.

Rick

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

So I purchased carpet from Albright’s Supply on line and the sample looked good and the price was good. I decided to pull the carpets out of my driver to use as templates and then a big surprise. My fancy wool carpets are being eating by beetles that turn into moths. I am totally freaked out; I hate large nests of bugs. Now I am pulling the interior out of that car. The bugs seem to be mostly under the seats; they like the dark-- WTF. I have told my wife many times those moths that eat wool do not live around here, no not worry!!!--Well a Google search shows they prefer the British Isles and the carpets came from England like over 10 years ago plus our climate is just like England. Anybody ever deal with this before? My wife still works at the hospital and has collected wool rugs for years, and has some rally nice stuff, but I knew she wrong about the moths, NOT-- and when she gets home she will probably make burn the car. . Not so----- well the new stuff will be synthetic nylon no more organic stuff from plant Earth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

bummer! Good luck getting rid of the moths!

I actually ordered the Ebay carpets. I then studied the pics closely and realized they are not specific to a year, but more of an average of the 3 different cuts over the years. I cancelled the order before they had a chance to send them. But, only a handful of guys in the country could actually tell the difference between the cuts, so that may not be a big deal...
    John

1955 TR2

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    bummer! Good luck getting rid of the moths!

I actually ordered the Ebay carpets. I then studied the pics closely and realized they are not specific to a year, but more of an average of the 3 different cuts over the years. I cancelled the order before they had a chance to send them. But, only a handful of guys in the country could actually tell the difference between the cuts, so that may not be a big deal...
    I'm one of the ones who can't tell the difference. The listing says '55 to '57. I know there were differences in materials but pattern differences too? (Mine is a '59 and the set looks like it will fit it too.)
    Tom
    1960 TR3A TS73117 (under endless restoration, owned since 1964)
    1959 TR3A TS58023 (in case I never finish the one above)
    1969 Triumph Herald 13/60 (a whim)
    1970 Lotus Elan Plus 2 /0023/N
    1992 BMW325IC (fun to drive)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I bought a set of what I believe were the equivalents for my MGTD. They were not great quality, but not bad, either. The material looked OK, but the edges, where they presumably weren't (very) visible, were not finished and unraveled easily. I singed them with a gas flame to keep them together. If I had planned to use the car a lot, I probably would have gone a little more upmarket, as I doubt that those would have tolerated a lot of use.

Steve Maas
    1966 Triumph TR4A, undergoing restoration: http://www.nonlintec.com/tr4a
    1952 MG TD, restoration completed 2014, sold 2016: http://www.nonlintec.com/mgtd
    1960 Austin-Healey "Bugeye" Sprite, sold 2010: http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite
    1967 Porsche 912: http://www.nonlintec.com/porsche