• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Modem Help

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I need to replace an outdated modem as it is not compatible with my level of internet speed. I recently upgraded to 250 Mbps. Currently I am getting approximately 30-50 max.
My needs are basic internet surfing as well as streaming for three TV’s. No Voip.
Should I get a modem/router as one unit or get a separate modem and a separate router?
Your thoughts and suggestions welcome as well as product to stay away from. By the way my isp is Comcast/Xfinity.

D

Deleted member 8987

I did that three, four weeks ago. Did NOT use Comcrap, as I ain't paying them $10/mo rental and have something I cannot access like Frontier's was.

Look on Amazon, it will tell you in the item description speed AND if it's compatible with Comcrap, Frontier, or whatever.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I would rather buy than rent from Comcast. I have looked on Amazon but I thought it best to get recommendations from people who are more knowledgeable with this equipment.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi Elliot - I think you're asking if you should get a single modem/wifi unit, or two separate units?

When I upgraded speed (Charter/Spectrum) from 30 to 100 mbps, I was glad I had my own modem and separate wifi router. The modems Charter "approves" are inexpensive, and my wifi router already supported the faster speed. So I spent $39 for a new Hitron E3 modem, and kept my Belkin wifi router.

Hey - I'm an old "component" guy. None of those fancy-dancy single unit stereos for me and my buddies!

Sinatra Components.jpeg

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks Tom. Your living room looks great; there isn’t anything there that can be hacked or that requires a monthly subscription.

D

Deleted member 8987

My only addition to that "Wall of Sound" is a Graphic Equalizer. Reel-to-Reel, amps, AM/FM tuner, 8-track, even a CRT Television.
Where's your turntable?
Oh, my

WiFi/Router is an Arris SBG6700-AC. Recommended brand...can't recall the dis-recommended brands off the top.
Mine has two Ethernet ports, have more than that to plug in, so I dug out an old Workgroup Switch and plugged that in.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Using a separate modem and Linksys Mesh router + a switch to give me some wired connections. It is a Linksys Velop intelligent home mesh WiFi router I have 2 base stations and you can have more if you have a larger home. The Mesh router covers the whole house with a single WiFi channel.

Works well

David

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks David

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm with Tom: A component for each function. My setup (and most business clients I have) is to run coax to the set-top box for TV, from the provider's unit (Arris here, but that doesn't matter much), run a Cat-5/6 cable directly into a firewall computer with the provider's WiFi turned off and their modem set up as a simple bridge. The firewall (2 NIC's) gets it's "public" NIC IP addy from the provider's modem, via DHCP. Has the second NIC, on the "inside" LAN, assigned a Class-C LAN addy (192.168.xxx.xxx). That is wired to the switch/router inside, along with a WiFi router for our use: "Hidden" SSID and a key from Hades to access. The house is plumbed with at least one RJ-45 port to use in each room. In our case, using a a 24-port patch panel to connect all room drops to a 24-port Cisco switching router. All machines on the "inside" are manually assigned Class-C addresses with the firewall as their gateway. With this or a similar setup, all the provider (and the rest of the innerwebs) sees from their end is the provider's modem and if they can get through that (VERY unlikely), the firewall appliance. At any given time a client can be running from six to two dozen machines. At th' hovel only an average of seven or eight.

WiFi routers can range in cost and ...err... range. I put Buffalo WiFi units in commercial setups, good coverage, good R.O.I. An "El Cheapo" AirLink 802.11G here at th' hovel. Even that will stream video to Herself's iPad, no sweat.

For residential use, I like Linksys WiFi units. Easy to configure any way you want, through the GUI. Most all WiFi routers are running a Linux kernel. From the EXTREMELY expensive (but they're RED!) Watch Guard ones, to this lowly AirLink.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks doc. I had already made the decision to go with separate units for modem and router as that makes the most sense to me. I've decided to put the purchase on hold for a little bit as other priorities have arisen.
You think you have a cheapo router?.... I've been using a TP-Link with an "N" designation. I bought the router on Amazon for less than $20!!!.
It's functioning with our three streaming TV's and three laptops but as you know it needs to be replaced soon.

D

Deleted member 8987

Thanks doc. I had already made the decision to go with separate units for modem and router as that makes the most sense to me. I've decided to put the purchase on hold for a little bit as other priorities have arisen.
You think you have a cheapo router?.... I've been using a TP-Link with an "N" designation. I bought the router on Amazon for less than $20!!!.
It's functioning with our three streaming TV's and three laptops but as you know it needs to be replaced soon.

Just make sure only one unit is wireless WiFi. Run into all sorts of issues if two units are WiFi, or so I have been told, like Modem with WiFi and Router with WiFi.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up. I’m looking at an Arris SB8200 which is strictly a modem.