Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: The world needs more British car experience

The Pub is: Forum to generally shoot the breeze. It is NOT: a debate forum (NO Politics, religion, or controversial topics.) Keep it clean, fun and lite!

  1. #1
    Great Pumpkin JPSmit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    18,233
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    43
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

    The world needs more British car experience

    This week is my annual sailing trip with my brother and brother in law. Got to the boat in good time and the engine wouldn’t start - Diesel- air in the lines. A trip to Kingston (50 miles away for a new filter housing solved most but also had to tap a new thread for a bleed screw and replace a number of copper washers. Took five stores to find the washers and most didn’t even know how or why to use them. Working on the engine was like the MG super simple- but it sure would be easier to service this engine if there were more people who had generic parts for old engines and knew what the parts were for. Finally got away by 6 so not as far as we had hoped but good food good company and good scotch makes everything better
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Austin TEXAS
    Posts
    88
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Re: The world needs more British car experience

    Quote Originally Posted by JPSmit View Post
    This week is my annual sailing trip with my brother and brother in law. Got to the boat in good time and the engine wouldn’t start - Diesel- air in the lines. A trip to Kingston (50 miles away for a new filter housing solved most but also had to tap a new thread for a bleed screw and replace a number of copper washers. Took five stores to find the washers and most didn’t even know how or why to use them. Working on the engine was like the MG super simple- but it sure would be easier to service this engine if there were more people who had generic parts for old engines and knew what the parts were for. Finally got away by 6 so not as far as we had hoped but good food good company and good scotch makes everything better
    At least you weren't trying to find parts for a British Seagull outboard! I have several of them and they are dead simple machines, but finding bits and peices is becoming hard. I think part of the issue is that, in todays modern world, generic parts are rarely called for. If it does't have a manufacturer's sku number on it, they can't find it.....

  3. #3
    Great Pumpkin JPSmit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    18,233
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    43
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

    Re: The world needs more British car experience

    Quote Originally Posted by YakkoWarner View Post
    At least you weren't trying to find parts for a British Seagull outboard! I have several of them and they are dead simple machines, but finding bits and peices is becoming hard. I think part of the issue is that, in todays modern world, generic parts are rarely called for. If it does't have a manufacturer's sku number on it, they can't find it.....
    That was the issue in one store without a model number they could do nothing. We are moored today - motor quit 2 minutes before dropping anchor- current theory is bad fuel. Looks like we are sailing all the way home tomorrow

  4. #4
    Luke Skywalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Giswil, CH & Fallbrook the Avo Capital, USA
    Posts
    1,503
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

    Re: The world needs more British car experience

    Could be bad fuel, but newer diesel fuel will kill injection systems.
    Good luck with it. At least you have excellent company!!
    Cheers,
    D.
    "If it's got t*ts or tyres, you've got problems"
    www.englishmotorsatfairbrook.org
    TVR Car Club North America Southwest Regional Organiser

  5. #5
    Great Pumpkin JPSmit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    18,233
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    43
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

    Re: The world needs more British car experience

    Quote Originally Posted by Grantura_MKI View Post
    Could be bad fuel, but newer diesel fuel will kill injection systems.
    Good luck with it. At least you have excellent company!!
    Good company indeed and scotch and G&Ts and no timetable. The fuel is too old and too close to the bottom of the tank so I suspect he will need to drain- clean the tank - and refill- probably replace filters also- fortunately none of the EVER happens with LBCs

  6. #6
    Yoda Gliderman8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    8,055
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    11
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    25
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

    Re: The world needs more British car experience

    Throw some of that scotch in the tank and fire that baby up!
    Elliot
    Central PA
    1976 TR6 White/Biscuit interior SOLD
    1973 TR6 Damson Plum / Biscuit interior, HVDA 5-speed, Good Parts Hubs
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Austin TEXAS
    Posts
    88
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Re: The world needs more British car experience

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliderman8 View Post
    Throw some of that scotch in the tank and fire that baby up!
    As a small boat sailor I have to say - that would be a horrific waste of perfectly good Scotch!

  8. #8
    Yoda Gliderman8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    8,055
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    11
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    25
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

    Re: The world needs more British car experience

    Quote Originally Posted by YakkoWarner View Post
    As a small boat sailor I have to say - that would be a horrific waste of perfectly good Scotch!
    You're missing the big picture..... Dump in the scotch, start engine and navigate to the nearest port to buy more scotch!
    Elliot
    Central PA
    1976 TR6 White/Biscuit interior SOLD
    1973 TR6 Damson Plum / Biscuit interior, HVDA 5-speed, Good Parts Hubs
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •