• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 1972 Blowing fuse fed by white wire

edkap2002

Country flag
Yup...72 TR6 ....driving along and fuel gauge and temp gauge stop working....fuse was blown.....new fuse...blows again....I put in a 30 amp fuse....all seemed ok for a minute but then fuel gauge stops working, temp gauge stops, and now I smell something burning....and the wipers come on by themselves....sure enough...the wiper switch on the dash is fried.....Question: is it fair for me to assume that the wiper switch suffered the short which was causing the fuse(s) to blow int he first place.....Im hoping so because that is an easy fix.....thanks for comments and assistance....Ed

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
No. The wiper switch may have fried because the current due to the short took the path of least resistance. You need to completely examine the wires behind the dash for damage. BTW: A 30 amp fuse (American style) is too large.....should be either 20A or 15A. American style. British use a different rating system for fuses. Don't power the wire circuit until you know that there is no direct short....use an ohmmeter.
Good luck
Scott in CA

OP
edkap2002

edkap2002

Country flag
No. The wiper switch may have fried because the current due to the short took the path of least resistance. You need to completely examine the wires behind the dash for damage. BTW: A 30 amp fuse (American style) is too large.....should be either 20A or 15A. American style. British use a different rating system for fuses. Don't power the wire circuit until you know that there is no direct short....use an ohmmeter.
Good luck
Scott in CA

Thanks for the good advice.....ill going to have my work and learning curve cut out for me!

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Scott is right; you need to check the rest of the circuit and be sure that there is no short elsewhere. Might have been something in the switch, but easily could be something else. Also, you need to check for other damage that the overcurrent could have caused--burned or melted wire insulation, for example.

I guess I could make the point that inserting a larger fuse is not the optimum way to solve a fuse-blowing problem, but I think you know that now.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Here's a link to the wiring diagram for your car. The circuit involved that is being fed by the white wire is the ignition switched circuit consisting of all of the green wires. In that circuit are the wipers, windscreen washer, temp & fuel gauges, heater fan, brake lights, turn signals, reverse lights and seat belt circuit. Any one of those circuits could be the problem, but the most likely suspect is the wiper switch and/or motor.

http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf

OP
edkap2002

edkap2002

Country flag
Here's a link to the wiring diagram for your car. The circuit involved that is being fed by the white wire is the ignition switched circuit consisting of all of the green wires. In that circuit are the wipers, windscreen washer, temp & fuel gauges, heater fan, brake lights, turn signals, reverse lights and seat belt circuit. Any one of those circuits could be the problem, but the most likely suspect is the wiper switch and/or motor.

http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf

Thanks so much....grateful for help!