• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Leather Strap Chafing

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I noticed some paint chafing on the bonnet from my leather strap and when I had the hood repainted after the louver addition I added some XPEL protective film: https://www.xpel.com/ It was an easy enough project, took about an hour, and total cost was under $10. It's pretty much invisible and the only other solution to chafing I've seen is lambswool under the strap that I wasn't too keen on.

During installation before the soap solution was squeegeed out:

IMG_0488.jpg

Finished project:

IMG_0490.jpg

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
That protective tape is pretty amazing. I've applied a 1" strip of it under the Tenex studs around the cockpit edge for protection from the tonneau cover and wrapped it around the bonnet and trunk prop rods where they snap into the rubber holders to prevent the paint from wearing.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I'd think it would be great for under the leather hood strap, where it won't be exposed to the sun. In some of the other areas mentioned, the paint will fade differently underneath. Like carpet runners, a different set of problems are created.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yes if I interpret Reid correctly old sports and racing cars are suppose to have wear marks and chaffing. An yes it’s called REAL patina. Drive em like you love em.

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The d*mn patina will be there soon enough without rushing things, eh Rick? :smile:

I suppose I'm an old fashioned guy that likes a shiny paint job without the "patina" of faded paint, parking lot dents and scrathches from those that park by ear. My pet theory is that the rush to the appreciation of cars with patina has a lot to do with how expensive body and paintwork has become to get that beautiful exterior. Easier and cheaper to keep it as it is and call it "patina" I can certainly appreciate a Healey with worn original paint that has been lovingly waxed over the years and leather that's been treated carefully with Hide Food, but a lot of what I see advertised as a car with patina is what we formerly called a "used car".

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
You know Rick I am just teasing you. I wouldn't want scratches in my new paint job either. Give it a week or two then take the tape off to achieve patina, if you can get the tape off. Considering tape on fairly new paint....maybe better leave the tape on. By the way, your summary of the causations of what is now called patina is right on. Dave.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
By the way, my tonneau cover has put rub marks on my rear shroud which had an unblemished paint job of only a few years old. I'm not happy about that either.

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
By the way, my tonneau cover has put rub marks on my rear shroud which had an unblemished paint job of only a few years old. I'm not happy about that either.

You should see what tonneaus do to a bugeye! And don't even talk about the soft top that has an iron bar in its base that rubs on the rear deck. Some of my friends would fold towels under the tonneau and tops to prevent chafing.