• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Milky Way over Cabazon

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Mrs Basil and I drove out to the boonies last night to shoot some Milky Way pictures at Cabazon Peak. Still have a lot of work to do processing but here are a couple quick attempts.

Cabazon-1-2.jpg

Cabazon-1.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Awesome! Haven't really seen the Milky Way in years

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Awesome! Haven't really seen the Milky Way in years

Thanks. You really have to get to a dark sky location to see it very well. Probably one of the most amazing Skys I've ever seen was at a place called Mount Laguna in Southern California. It is within eyeshot of the Mount Palomar Observatory. We were doing an evaluation on a Long Range Radar there and I remember walking out onto the radar dome catwalk one night and the view of the night sky took my breath away.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
A great shot of the night sky.

Light pollution is the curse of modern man.

Reminds me of the night sky in Southern Ireland in the 1960s.

David

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
A great shot of the night sky.

Light pollution is the curse of modern man.

Reminds me of the night sky in Southern Ireland in the 1960s.

David

Even out west it's hard to find locations with no light pollution. The best you can do in most cases is minimize it.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
My earliest memories of Ireland are of the light flickering and going out as the local power generator would run out of fuel. The operator had too many at the pub and forgotten to refill the gas tank.
It was 110V DC

David

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
My earliest memories of Ireland are of the light flickering and going out as the local power generator would run out of fuel. The operator had too many at the pub and forgotten to refill the gas tank.
It was 110V DC

David

Well that's one way to get a dark sky! :emmersed:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks. You really have to get to a dark sky location to see it very well. Probably one of the most amazing Skys I've ever seen was at a place called Mount Laguna in Southern California. It is within eyeshot of the Mount Palomar Observatory. We were doing an evaluation on a Long Range Radar there and I remember walking out onto the radar dome catwalk one night and the view of the night sky took my breath away.

What amazes (concerns) me is that when I went to camp in my teens, about 2 hours north of Toronto you would see the Milky Way any clear night - now I drive to New Liskeard - 6 hours north and - Nada

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
What amazes (concerns) me is that when I went to camp in my teens, about 2 hours north of Toronto you would see the Milky Way any clear night - now I drive to New Liskeard - 6 hours north and - Nada

JP - you have to wait until night.

<ducks and runs>

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag

Thats my neck of the woods. I am not far from Palomar and have seen some amazing sights there whilst camping.
Very nice work on the photo!!

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
That is a fantastic shot. I remember seeing the milky way in medium sized (about 140,000) town on moonless nights as a kid in the 70s.

Not nearly as easy now. However I also remember working under cars with no trouble light during the day and reading by moonlight only at night.

Light pollution is a real thing, but the eyes also lose some ability to see faint light.

I am not far from North Central Nebraska, sparsely populated and by all accounts great night sky viewing. I need to get out there soon.

Thanks again for the great view.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
That is a fantastic shot. I remember seeing the milky way in medium sized (about 140,000) town on moonless nights as a kid in the 70s.

Not nearly as easy now. However I also remember working under cars with no trouble light during the day and reading by moonlight only at night.

Light pollution is a real thing, but the eyes also lose some ability to see faint light.

I am not far from North Central Nebraska, sparsely populated and by all accounts great night sky viewing. I need to get out there soon.

Thanks again for the great view.

Thanks. I remember some pretty amazing starry skies growing up in central West Virginia.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP - you have to wait until night.

<ducks and runs>

wait a minute - you mean..... doh!

Apparently in Iceland at summer solstice (24 hours sunlight or as near as makes no difference) people are disappointed because they can't see the Northern Lights.

<Off to convenience store to get a Milky Way>

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
wait a minute - you mean..... doh!

Apparently in Iceland at summer solstice (24 hours sunlight or as near as makes no difference) people are disappointed because they can't see the Northern Lights.

<Off to convenience store to get a Milky Way>

GUEST_2cab6360-996f-4468-b316-2636c09999d2

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I can remember being able to see the Milky Way growing up just outside of St Louis, MO in the early/mid 1950's. I don't remember when it 'disappeared' around here but its been gone a long time. Enjoyed the photo, brought back memories.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
We got out some time before sunset and there was a front passing through that made for some really nice clouds. I took this one right around sunset after a front had just passed.

Cabazon-.jpg

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
No Milky Way up here. Lucky if you see 10-12 stars including Venus & Mars. If I were King, I would decree one day each month as Dark Sky Day - no lights from dusk to dawn. Let people see what's out there. Florida seems no better these days.