Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Milky Way over Cabazon

The Pub is: Forum to generally shoot the breeze. It is NOT: a debate forum (NO Politics, religion, or controversial topics.) Keep it clean, fun and lite!

  1. #1
    Administrator Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Turn left at Albuquerque
    Posts
    23,423
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    35
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    81
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

    Milky Way over Cabazon

    Mrs Basil and I drove out to the boonies last night to shoot some Milky Way pictures at Cabazon Peak. Still have a lot of work to do processing but here are a couple quick attempts.

    Cabazon-1-2.jpg

    Cabazon-1.jpg
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

  2. #2
    Yoda AngliaGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Roanoke,Virginia
    Posts
    8,626
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

    Re: Milky Way over Cabazon

    VERY Nice!
    Just Remember.......
    NOBODY ever says "COOL PRIUS!"

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to AngliaGT For This Useful Post:

    Basil  (07-04-2019)

  4. #3
    Administrator Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Turn left at Albuquerque
    Posts
    23,423
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    35
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    81
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

    Re: Milky Way over Cabazon

    Quote Originally Posted by AngliaGT View Post
    VERY Nice!
    Thanks! Few things in life are as invigorating as standing in cow patties at 12:30AM
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

  5. #4
    Great Pumpkin JPSmit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    18,297
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    44
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

    Re: Milky Way over Cabazon

    Awesome! Haven't really seen the Milky Way in years
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to JPSmit For This Useful Post:

    Basil  (07-04-2019)

  7. #5
    Administrator Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Turn left at Albuquerque
    Posts
    23,423
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    35
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    81
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

    Re: Milky Way over Cabazon

    Quote Originally Posted by JPSmit View Post
    Awesome! Haven't really seen the Milky Way in years
    Thanks. You really have to get to a dark sky location to see it very well. Probably one of the most amazing Skys I've ever seen was at a place called Mount Laguna in Southern California. It is within eyeshot of the Mount Palomar Observatory. We were doing an evaluation on a Long Range Radar there and I remember walking out onto the radar dome catwalk one night and the view of the night sky took my breath away.
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

  8. #6
    Obi Wan
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Macon Georgia
    Posts
    2,414
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    10
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    30
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

    Re: Milky Way over Cabazon

    A great shot of the night sky.

    Light pollution is the curse of modern man.

    Reminds me of the night sky in Southern Ireland in the 1960s.

    David
    TR3A TS75524L

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidApp For This Useful Post:

    Basil  (07-04-2019)

  10. #7
    Administrator Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Turn left at Albuquerque
    Posts
    23,423
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    35
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    81
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

    Re: Milky Way over Cabazon

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidApp View Post
    A great shot of the night sky.

    Light pollution is the curse of modern man.

    Reminds me of the night sky in Southern Ireland in the 1960s.

    David
    Even out west it's hard to find locations with no light pollution. The best you can do in most cases is minimize it.
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

  11. #8
    Obi Wan
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Macon Georgia
    Posts
    2,414
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    10
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    30
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

    Re: Milky Way over Cabazon

    My earliest memories of Ireland are of the light flickering and going out as the local power generator would run out of fuel. The operator had too many at the pub and forgotten to refill the gas tank.
    It was 110V DC

    David
    TR3A TS75524L

  12. #9
    Administrator Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Turn left at Albuquerque
    Posts
    23,423
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    35
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    81
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

    Re: Milky Way over Cabazon

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidApp View Post
    My earliest memories of Ireland are of the light flickering and going out as the local power generator would run out of fuel. The operator had too many at the pub and forgotten to refill the gas tank.
    It was 110V DC

    David
    Well that's one way to get a dark sky!
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

  13. #10
    Great Pumpkin JPSmit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    18,297
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    44
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

    Re: Milky Way over Cabazon

    Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    Thanks. You really have to get to a dark sky location to see it very well. Probably one of the most amazing Skys I've ever seen was at a place called Mount Laguna in Southern California. It is within eyeshot of the Mount Palomar Observatory. We were doing an evaluation on a Long Range Radar there and I remember walking out onto the radar dome catwalk one night and the view of the night sky took my breath away.
    What amazes (concerns) me is that when I went to camp in my teens, about 2 hours north of Toronto you would see the Milky Way any clear night - now I drive to New Liskeard - 6 hours north and - Nada
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

  14. #11
    Great Pumpkin NutmegCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    10,934
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    39
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    87
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

    Re: Milky Way over Cabazon

    Quote Originally Posted by JPSmit View Post
    What amazes (concerns) me is that when I went to camp in my teens, about 2 hours north of Toronto you would see the Milky Way any clear night - now I drive to New Liskeard - 6 hours north and - Nada
    JP - you have to wait until night.

    <ducks and runs>
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

  15. #12
    Administrator Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Turn left at Albuquerque
    Posts
    23,423
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    35
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    81
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

    Re: Milky Way over Cabazon

    Quote Originally Posted by NutmegCT View Post
    JP - you have to wait until night.

    <ducks and runs>
    You and JP both need to do some traveling to find good dark sky areas - even at night.

    IMG_4504.jpg
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

  16. #13
    Luke Skywalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Giswil, CH & Fallbrook the Avo Capital, USA
    Posts
    1,516
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

    Re: Milky Way over Cabazon

    Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    Thanks. You really have to get to a dark sky location to see it very well. Probably one of the most amazing Skys I've ever seen was at a place called Mount Laguna in Southern California. It is within eyeshot of the Mount Palomar Observatory. We were doing an evaluation on a Long Range Radar there and I remember walking out onto the radar dome catwalk one night and the view of the night sky took my breath away.
    Thats my neck of the woods. I am not far from Palomar and have seen some amazing sights there whilst camping.
    Very nice work on the photo!!
    Cheers,
    D.
    "If it's got t*ts or tyres, you've got problems"
    www.englishmotorsatfairbrook.org
    TVR Car Club North America Southwest Regional Organiser

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Grantura_MKI For This Useful Post:

    Basil  (07-04-2019)

  18. #14
    Yoda glemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Nebraska, USA
    Posts
    3,316
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    13
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

    Re: Milky Way over Cabazon

    That is a fantastic shot. I remember seeing the milky way in medium sized (about 140,000) town on moonless nights as a kid in the 70s.

    Not nearly as easy now. However I also remember working under cars with no trouble light during the day and reading by moonlight only at night.

    Light pollution is a real thing, but the eyes also lose some ability to see faint light.

    I am not far from North Central Nebraska, sparsely populated and by all accounts great night sky viewing. I need to get out there soon.

    Thanks again for the great view.

  19. #15
    Administrator Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Turn left at Albuquerque
    Posts
    23,423
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    35
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    81
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

    Re: Milky Way over Cabazon

    Quote Originally Posted by glemon View Post
    That is a fantastic shot. I remember seeing the milky way in medium sized (about 140,000) town on moonless nights as a kid in the 70s.

    Not nearly as easy now. However I also remember working under cars with no trouble light during the day and reading by moonlight only at night.

    Light pollution is a real thing, but the eyes also lose some ability to see faint light.

    I am not far from North Central Nebraska, sparsely populated and by all accounts great night sky viewing. I need to get out there soon.

    Thanks again for the great view.
    Thanks. I remember some pretty amazing starry skies growing up in central West Virginia.
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

  20. #16
    Great Pumpkin JPSmit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    18,297
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    44
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

    Re: Milky Way over Cabazon

    Quote Originally Posted by NutmegCT View Post
    JP - you have to wait until night.

    <ducks and runs>
    wait a minute - you mean..... doh!

    Apparently in Iceland at summer solstice (24 hours sunlight or as near as makes no difference) people are disappointed because they can't see the Northern Lights.

    <Off to convenience store to get a Milky Way>
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

  21. #17
    Great Pumpkin NutmegCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    10,934
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    39
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    87
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

    Re: Milky Way over Cabazon

    Quote Originally Posted by JPSmit View Post
    wait a minute - you mean..... doh!

    Apparently in Iceland at summer solstice (24 hours sunlight or as near as makes no difference) people are disappointed because they can't see the Northern Lights.

    <Off to convenience store to get a Milky Way>

    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

  22. #18
    Jedi Warrior Bob McElwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Kirkwood, MO
    Posts
    491
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    15
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Re: Milky Way over Cabazon

    I can remember being able to see the Milky Way growing up just outside of St Louis, MO in the early/mid 1950's. I don't remember when it 'disappeared' around here but its been gone a long time. Enjoyed the photo, brought back memories.
    Bob McElwee
    '62 AH Tri-Carb(sold)
    Miss BT

  23. #19
    Administrator Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Turn left at Albuquerque
    Posts
    23,423
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    35
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    81
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

    Re: Milky Way over Cabazon

    We got out some time before sunset and there was a front passing through that made for some really nice clouds. I took this one right around sunset after a front had just passed.

    Cabazon-.jpg
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

  24. #20
    Obi Wan
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    stamford, CT
    Posts
    2,078
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    14
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

    Re: Milky Way over Cabazon

    No Milky Way up here. Lucky if you see 10-12 stars including Venus & Mars. If I were King, I would decree one day each month as Dark Sky Day - no lights from dusk to dawn. Let people see what's out there. Florida seems no better these days.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •