Thread: Shock Absorber maintenance

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shock Absorber maintenance

I'm doing some rear suspension maintenance on my 59 Bugeye and I was wondering if one of you knowledgeable dudes or ladies has any insight on the shocks. Are we supposed to change the fluid and how much do they hold? What should I expect when I remove the filler cap? Any help would be truly appreciated. Thanks and have a fun and safe 4th.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Re: Shock Absorber maintenance

Welcome to the forum! First thing is to check and see if the shock arm moves thru it’s range with resistance in both directions. You can always add shock oil via the hole under the big nut, but if the shock is notchy or has weak spots in its range I would order a rebuilt set from PeterC (Caldwell) at nosimport.com. Your better than new rebuilt shocks will show up at your house in a box with a return label...easy peasy.
    Rut
    Rut, '60 Bugeye, '70 MGB, '62 TR4, '66 TR4a IRS, '67 TR4a IRS, '68 TR4a IRS, '72 TR6

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you wish to change out/top up the shock fluid, have a look at AH Spares https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-he...d-castrol.aspx as it appears that they use Castrol TQ-F 1747 automatic transmission fluid. Doug
    1959 pristine 948 cc Bug-Eye; DCOE, 5 speed; bought 1971
    1960 BE bought 1971 & stored since; body tub restored and reassembling (1275; etc.)
    1962 AH 3000 BJ7; 3rd owner (1982?); in shop Oct. 2015 for paint job - home soon!
    1962 VW Meyers Manx clone dune buggy; stripped last winter and being reassembled
    1969 Kawasaki 500 H1 Triple, orig. owner; stored since 1973, but runs again! 1999 Buell S3

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you wish to change out/top up the shock fluid, have a look at AH Spares https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-he...d-castrol.aspx as it appears that they use Castrol TQ-F 1747 automatic transmission fluid. Doug
    1959 pristine 948 cc Bug-Eye; DCOE, 5 speed; bought 1971
    1960 BE bought 1971 & stored since; body tub restored and reassembling (1275; etc.)
    1962 AH 3000 BJ7; 3rd owner (1982?); in shop Oct. 2015 for paint job - home soon!
    1962 VW Meyers Manx clone dune buggy; stripped last winter and being reassembled
    1969 Kawasaki 500 H1 Triple, orig. owner; stored since 1973, but runs again! 1999 Buell S3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

I just got shock oil from my local motorcycle shop
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)