• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

First time LBC [TR3] owner in So Cal

Topley

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi all!

Been looking at multiple '50's and early '60's MG's Triumphs and Jag's for the last year or two and finally found my car. Its a '61 TR3A, black on black with brooklands windscreens. It's lovely. Reading the forums have been very informative but I clearly I have MUCH to learn. Definitely want to connect with other local locals that can show me the ropes. Family have named her 'Black Beauty'. She's already marking her territory more than I'm comfortable with but I'm sure that's just the first of many things I'll have to give attention to while I'm responsible for her.

Jay

Attachments

• IMG_7514.jpg
    IMG_7514.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 25

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
VERY nice, Jay, and welcome to the party! We've quite an active and helpful TR bunch here who are ready and willing to lend a hand (and an ear), so post away over on the TR side.

:cheers:
Mickey

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Welcome to BCF Jay! I used to get out to Torrence once in a while when I was still doing that "W" word (work).

Happy to have you aboard and hope you will jump right in to your Triumph forum - don't be shy!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hi Jay,

I'd love to come over and see your new treasure in person, but I'm out of town for a few months. In the meantime, I suggest you look up the local club, maybe attend a few meetings and events. You don't have to join, and everyone will be glad to see you (and your car). There are some very knowledgeable club members, some even do restoration work in their spare time (if, for example, you want to replace that drippy rear main seal, but lack time and tools, etc to do it yourself).

The main meetings are usually the 2nd Wednesday of every month, at Carrows in Rosemead. You can find more details on the club website at
http://www.sctoa.org/SCTOA/Welcome.html
(The club has been recently renamed to Triumph Club of Southern California; but they are still using the old Southern California Triumph Owners Association web site.)

I highly recommend the "Drive on the Edge" event, happening this Saturday. Nice leisurely drive (within the posted speed limits unfortunately) through the Angeles National Forest, with a bunch of other Triumphs. Flyer at http://www.sctoa.org/SCTOA/Flyers_files/Drive on the Edge.pdf
If you feel that is a little too ambitious for your new acquisition, "run what you brung". You'll get relegated to the back of the pack, but still welcomed to the event. In the past, we've had Miatas, MGs, even Volvo sedans show up. Still a nice drive, great scenery is always improved by following a line of Triumphs :smile:

PS, this isn't really the time or place, but since you mentioned "marking it's spot", I want to explain that there are two major upgrades available for the rear main seal. Of the two, I strongly recommend the "Mad Marx" (aka Viton) version sold by Roadster Factory and BPNW. Unlike the one Moss sells, it does not require machining the crankshaft (so no worries about it being machined wrong), and actually keeps the original scroll-type seal functional. The Moss unit can be made to work, but often leaks even worse than a worn-out original seal! One of our local club members actually sold her TR3, in part because the seal conversion went from a few drops in her garage, to a steady trail wherever she went.

http://trf.zeni.net/webcatalog/specials11.26/12.php

PPS, I maintain a modest collection of Triumph-related documents at
https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...yMy00ZDhkLTliOWEtOWU1OWRhNDZhYmRl?usp=sharing.
You might find some of them useful. I recommend that you download anything you find interesting, but I do occasionally made updates and additions, so check back from time to time.

Last edited:
OP
T

Topley

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks all! Looks like a great bunch of resources here and I’m willing to dive in! First step for me is going through the inch thick of receipts I have and figure out this cars history as best I can. Know there can be many DPO’s with a car like this and it’s hard to figure out dubious fixes that could be buried way in her past...it’s an adventure!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Thanks all! Looks like a great bunch of resources here and I’m willing to dive in! First step for me is going through the inch thick of receipts I have and figure out this cars history as best I can. Know there can be many DPO’s with a car like this and it’s hard to figure out dubious fixes that could be buried way in her past...it’s an adventure!

Don't worry, if you don't find those dubious fixes right away, they will eventually find you :angel2: