Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Robocalls

The Pub is: Forum to generally shoot the breeze. It is NOT: a debate forum (NO Politics, religion, or controversial topics.) Keep it clean, fun and lite!

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Re: Robocalls

As a business use cell, I don't have the ability to ignore calls since they can come from people in the company literally from around the globe. Recently I've started getting Robos in what sounds like Chinese...

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikephillips View Post
    As a business use cell, I don't have the ability to ignore calls since they can come from people in the company literally from around the globe. Recently I've started getting Robos in what sounds like Chinese...
    During the day, on my cell phone, I get a lot of calls from people looking for information / help related to NAMI. Still, if I don't recognize a number I let VM answer then, if they leave a message, I'm pretty good about calling back right away.
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Thanks gents. Sounds like the iPhone lets you filter incoming calls in Do Not Disturb mode.

But does that mean you'd have to have the phone set on Do Not Disturb 24/7, to block calls other than those in your "allow" list?
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NutmegCT View Post
    Thanks gents. Sounds like the iPhone lets you filter incoming calls in Do Not Disturb mode.

But does that mean you'd have to have the phone set on Do Not Disturb 24/7, to block calls other than those in your "allow" list?
    If you wanted to block them all the time, then yes. In that case you just turn "Do Not Disturb" "On" (rather than setting a schedule) and then select whether you want to allow calls from your contact list or your favorites or some other "group" you have set up in your contacts.
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    If you wanted to block them all the time, then yes. In that case you just turn "Do Not Disturb" "On" (rather than setting a schedule) and then select whether you want to allow calls from your contact list or your favorites or some other "group" you have set up in your contacts.
    Thanks. That sounds like *the* plan to eliminate getting junk calls.
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Thanks. That sounds like *the* plan to eliminate getting junk calls.
    Any legit calls that don’t get through are sent to VM so you can still call back legit callers.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Reading over this thread, it's amazing all the hoops we're jumping through, to control our phones.

Next thing you know, we'll be trying to figure out how to stop hackers from "tweaking" the electronics in our self-driving cars and smart device homes.

SmartHouse1-777x437.jpg

eek

20180320-Autos-1-1.png

eek eek

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Reading over this thread, it's amazing all the hoops we're jumping through, to control our phones.

Next thing you know, we'll be trying to figure out how to stop hackers from "tweaking" the electronics in our self-driving cars and smart device homes.
    eek
    eek eek
    Elliot
    Central PA
    1973 TR6 Damson Plum / Biscuit interior, HVDA 5-speed, Good Parts Hubs
    1976 TR6 White/Biscuit interior SOLD
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

I used to work closely with a person who had previously worked at one of those "alphabet" agencies. Without going into ANY details, suffice it to say it would scare the doo doo out of most people if they knew what was possible WRT hacking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

They can't hack the Healey.
    John, BN4

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Turney View Post
    Not without some additional hardware installed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Turney View Post

Not without the Lucas app.
    Just Remember.......
    NOBODY ever says "COOL PRIUS!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AngliaGT View Post
    Not without the Lucas app.
    If it works like the rest of Lucas, it will do them no good.
    John, BN4

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

I just picked up a new iPhone XR and found that I've been getting warnings from AT&T when a suspected telemarketer or fraud call comes in. I don't know if this was due to getting the new phone or if the appearance of these alerts was just coincidental. When A suspected fraud call or telemarketer call comes in, I see "AT&T Alert: Fraud Risk" or "AT&T Alert: Telemarketer" in the caller ID area. Here are a couple screen shots from my "recent calls."

Image-1 copy.jpg

Image-2 copy.jpg

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Basil - I see those alerts show Missed Call.

So if the phone detects possible Fraud or Telemarketer, does the phone still ring?

Tom M.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Basil - I see those alerts show Missed Call.

So if the phone detects possible Fraud or Telemarketer, does the phone still ring?

Tom M.
    Unfortunately, yes, but you can add that number to your blocked list which will prevent any further calls from ringing from that same number. I found this article on the feature, which apparently has been out since March, but I've only seen it with my new iPhone. (Maybe my older iPhone didn't support the technology?) .

https://www.theinternetpatrol.com/at...d-partnership/

ATT also has an App called "Call Protect" which I'm going to check out - not sure how it works but it's supposed to add additional protections.

Update - I just read up on this "Call Protect App" and the description says you can configure so that any calls ID'd as AT&T Alert won't ring, but just be sent to VM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Thanks. You mention " ...you can add that number to your blocked list which will prevent any further calls from ringing from that same number."

But aren't most junk calls coming from fake numbers which show on the Caller ID? So if you block the number, it doesn't actually stop those junk calls.

Here in Connecticut, I get one or two junk calls a day. Caller ID inevitably shows the name of a Connecticut city, and a number that's randomly generated. Or, an real Connecticut person's name and number randomly picked from online directories. Wow. So for the last couple of years I've just assumed that *all* incoming calls are junk calls, unless I happen to be home and recognize the name on the Caller ID as one I've already entered in my phone's number list.

Anyway, amazing how convoluted the whole automated call thing has become.

Tom M.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Thanks. You mention " ...you can add that number to your blocked list which will prevent any further calls from ringing from that same number."

But aren't most junk calls coming from fake numbers which show on the Caller ID? So if you block the number, it doesn't actually stop those junk calls.

Here in Connecticut, I get one or two junk calls a day. Caller ID inevitably shows the name of a Connecticut city, and a number that's randomly generated. Or, an real Connecticut person's name and number randomly picked from online directories. Wow. So for the last couple of years I've just assumed that *all* incoming calls are junk calls, unless I happen to be home and recognize the name on the Caller ID as one I've already entered in my phone's number list.

Anyway, amazing how convoluted the whole automated call thing has become.

Tom M.

So far the numbers I've blocked have not called again, but you're right, the spammers spoof random numbers, I just installed the "Call Protect" App on my iPhone, and if AT&T detects a call as telemarketer or fraud call I can set the parameters to either block the call all together or send it to VM. Will be interesting to see how it works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    So far the numbers I've blocked have not called again, but you're right, the spammers spoof random numbers, I just installed the "Call Protect" App on my iPhone, and if AT&T detects a call as telemarketer or fraud call I can set the parameters to either block the call all together or send it to VM. Will be interesting to see how it works.
    The ones calling us don't use completely random numbers, they use random numbers with the same prefix as ours. If I could, I would block all the calls from that prefix, but then I wouldn't get any calls from SHMBO.
    John, BN4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I must be a coincidence Basil. My older iPhone 6 just started getting those notices too.
    Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
    '48 Ford Prefect
    '67 Sprite (project)
    '74 Super Beetle
    '73 MB 450SE
    '04 Saab Arc
    http://enfoprefect.org