• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Robocalls

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Not a rant - but a (probable) solution.

If your phone only rings *from numbers you have already called yourself*, then probably 99% of the robocalls stop.

Your phone provider keeps tabs on your incoming and outgoing calls, so they already have your outgoing calls in their data sets.

Voila.

This seems so gol'dern easy - and I'd happily pay $10/month for the service. "Blocking" unwanted calls is a nightmare, and close to impossible, as most junk callers fake their Caller ID numbers anyway.

OK - back to my cave.

Tom M.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I use a somewhat simpler (and free) version of the same thing : If a number is in my contact list, the contact list info will show for the caller ID. If the caller ID doesn't include a name that I know (usually from my contact list), I let the call go to voice mail.

The other useful thing is that my phone provider offers a simple means to report undesired calls as spam. I don't know how they apply that information, but I almost never get a second call from anyone I've reported as spam. I do sometimes get calls identified as "SCAM LIKELY", but I don't talk to them

Had kind of a rash of unwanted calls last year, but so far only a few this year. The doctor's offices keep calling me back from different numbers than I called, so I wouldn't want to block those calls entirely.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Randall. The advantage of the system I'm thinking about, is that you could add any other numbers you want to come through.

Another advantage: your phone rings *only* from numbers you want. You don't have useless rings and voice messages.

"Men have become the tools of their tools."

"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify."

H. D. Thoreau

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If the number that calls me is not in my contact list I don’t answer it. If the call is legit they will leave a message.
By the way, when I see that it’s a number I don’t recognize I immediately send it to voicemail so the ringing stops.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Our phones (Pixel 3XL) have a neat feature that, if we get a call from a number we don't recognize and suspect as spam, we can send it to an automatic message that tells the caller that they are being screened and to leave a message. Usually that ends the call then, and we have the option of flagging it as a spam call and further calls from that number are blocked.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I use a somewhat simpler (and free) version of the same thing : If a number is in my contact list, the contact list info will show for the caller ID. If the caller ID doesn't include a name that I know (usually from my contact list), I let the call go to voice mail.

The other useful thing is that my phone provider offers a simple means to report undesired calls as spam. I don't know how they apply that information, but I almost never get a second call from anyone I've reported as spam. I do sometimes get calls identified as "SCAM LIKELY", but I don't talk to them

Had kind of a rash of unwanted calls last year, but so far only a few this year. The doctor's offices keep calling me back from different numbers than I called, so I wouldn't want to block those calls entirely.

My phone system ( a VOIP system) does a pretty good job of identifying "SCAM LIKELY" calls and when it detects a call that is likely a SCAMMER it only rings once, then goes to VM. Otherwise I let all numbers I don't recognize go to VM and we can screen the calls that way as the VM is being left. If it's someone we know, we pick up. Usually scammers won't even bother to leave a message. The VOIP system I use also allows me to list numbers to block. (via an online UI)

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My phone provider has a neat way of stopping robocalls. When my number is called, the caller is told that if they are a real person they have to punch the number 8 key. If they do this my phone will ring, if not then the call does not go through. My phone no longer disturbs me with junk.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Unfortunately most of these solutions seem to be geared to mobile smartphones. My biggest source of robocalls is the hardwired phones (at home and work). At home I am often afraid to even answer my phone anymore. At work I HAVE to answer because it could be a customer/client - I sometimes get 5-15 robocalls in a single DAY on my work phone. Car warranty scams, student loan scams, consumer credit scams, you name it. I am beyond just wanting to stop it - I want actual prosecutions and penalties for these organizations who face no consequence for outright harassment. Its the same ones over and over, from different numbers but the exact same background music, exact same voice recordings and exact same script they follow.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I think you guys have more patience than I do. I don't want to hear the ring from robocalls, and dont' want to have to screen messages from robocallers.

The system I described works *through your phone provider* - not through your phone itself.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
How ironic - just saw on the news where that caught a local
Roanoke restaurant owner had a robocall center on the floor above
his business.
Surprise! - they can't seem to locate him.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
How ironic - just saw on the news where that caught a local
Roanoke restaurant owner had a robocall center on the floor above
his business.
Surprise! - they can't seem to locate him.

Is he answering his calls?

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Landline gets all the robocalls. If I don't recognize the numbetr, I don't pick it up. If it;s real and important, they;ll leave a message.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I had the land line disconnected years ago. Funny thing is, even with no dial tone and the old number assigned to someone else, it still got robocalls occasionally. Always political stuff; I theorize that they were buying access through the local exchange office and not even going through the normal switching network.

But that hasn't happened for a long time now either; and I eventually gave the antique rotary wall phone to my daughter.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I got one at 3:13 this morning :mad::mad:
I have my iPhone set for do not disturb for the overnight hours. Phone will only ring for contacts in my “Favorites” list.

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I have my iPhone set for do not disturb for the overnight hours. Phone will only ring for contacts in my “Favorites” list.
I have my cell set up for do not disturb also. This was on my landline.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ah, my bad.. I thought it was your cell.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

Elliot - you may be on to something here. So if someone calls you that's *not* on your contact/favorite list, the phone doesn't ring at all?

Tom M.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Elliot - you may be on to something here. So if someone calls you that's *not* on your contact/favorite list, the phone doesn't ring at all?

Tom M.

Tom the iPhone has a Do Not Disturb mode that you can turn on or off at will, or you can set a schedule. I have mine set to Do Not Disturb from 11PM till 7AM. Then you can set exceptions that will allow calls through from specific groups. The options are "Everyone", "No One", "Favorites" (that's how I have mine set), All Contacts , or you can choose a specific group from your contacts.

The "Allow Calls from Everyone" seems kind of silly - it's the same as just turning off Do Not Disturb.

Image-1.jpg

Image-2.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Tom M.
That's right Tom. I have my iPhone set to only let only my contacts ring through during the do not disturb parameters that I have set.
Basil's post is spot on in explaining the Do Not Disturb settings.