• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Inner sill or floor pan- which to replace first?

71TR6

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hello Forum,
After many unplanned delays, I'm ready to dive in again on my restoration of my '59 TR3A. Next week I plan to tearing into the final major body repair which is to replace the left inner sill, rear dog leg, and floor pan on my TR3A. There's not much left of the existing left floor pan and the inner sill is swiss cheese so I need to replace both. My instinct is to start with replacing the inner sill with the TRF replacement I have and then install the floor pan. My concern with putting the floor pan in first is that it really limits access to properly welding in the sill.

My question to the forum is: Is installing the sill first the best path or should I put the new floor pan in first and then do the inner sill?

Ron

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Do all body work with the body on your frame, after measuring the frame to ensure it is straight.

The sill is the base for all the parts you mention, so it will have to be installed first.

The sill bolts to the outriggers on the frame using pads.
The a post and dog leg then weld to the sill.
The front kick panel and rear inner fender is next.
The floor can be saved until very last. All floor welds are easily accessible, if you look closely at them.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
John showed me many ideas; he has a lot of experience. I would suggest posting some pictures, so the specifics of your car are clearer. I would also suggest removing the spots welds and leaving as much of the old sheet-metal as you can for a guide; you can always remove it later. For example, if your inner kick panel is kinda ok, either remove the spot welds with a dull faced rotary file, drill bits, or a spot weld removing tool. I suggest this because the inner kick panel sits on top of the inner sill providing a straight line for the sill, and if there are remnants of the old inner kick panel then visualizing the re-assembly is easier with less chance of being overwhelmed with parts and pieces floating in the air. The same goes for the last few inches of the floor because depending on the year the floor finishes off in 2 different ways at the very end. Good luck take you time and things will be fine.

steve

OP
71TR6

71TR6

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks Guys! I appreciate the guidance. I tore into it yesterday and it was worse than I thought (isn't it always) so I need to do some B post repair as well. Here's some pictures--- the side of the inner sills look fine but the bottoms are completely gone.

TR3Sill.jpgTR3Sill_2.jpg

charleyf

Jedi Knight
Country flag
71TR6,
Actually your B post looks like it is mostly there in the picture. It is the sill that is "missing". You just need to work to protect the B post and remove the sill without removing any of the B post at the welds.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
The inner sill is structural and the out sill is just a cosmetic tin cover. What does the whole outer look like behind the tin cover? And are both sides missing the last few inches of the inner sill.