• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

WWII Fighter Pilots Goggles

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I have my dads goggles that have been in storage for many years and due to the heat where they were stored, the face rubber actually melted on the frames and glass. I have them apart to restore them, is there any solvent that will dissolve the foam type rubber? They are military issue, nickle plated brass frames with night time orange glass lenses. I think I can get the replacement face rubbers, but removing the old stuff is challenging. PJ
View attachment 59412

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - contact Dawn Wallace, conservator, Smithsonian American History Museum.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/contact-us

Or contact an established museum or library near you, with a conservation department.

Those "rubber" parts were made by dozens of companies; you don't know exactly what material you're working with.

Tom M.'

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Tom, There might be a clue to who made the rubbers for these goggles as the AN number for the goggles is stamped on the hinge on front of the frames over the nose bridge, only guessing but hopeful. Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I will make contact! PJ

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'd start with mineral spirits and if that doesn't work, try alcohol then acetone... work toward paint stripper cautiously.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I'd start with mineral spirits and if that doesn't work, try alcohol then acetone... work toward paint stripper cautiously.
My thoughts exactly Doc! Methylene Chloride isn't user friendly, even though I appreciate the information. If it comes down to that, I do have a mask for using those type of chemicals. I really don't want to damage the plating on the frame and even like to keep the patina as is, but I do want to restore them and give them to my son, he loves family "treasures". :encouragement:

Dad was 90 when he passed, approximately 12 years ago. Miss him. :blue:

Last edited: