• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dead Computer

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Left Dell desktop on when called to dinner. I was on BCF. Came back to find it...dead. Disconnected power, all peripherals and turned back on - nothing. No light. I did notice that connecting the monitor to the adaptor caused the green light on the monitor to turn yellow but this may be an unrelated problem. I have two monitors (older Dells) and both do the same thing. No choice but to take it into the shop and hope for the best. I think this Inspiron is about 3 or 4 years old - can't recall. Luckily my wife's Dell laptop is still working...

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - when you power on the computer, do any of the indicator lights *on the computer* flash or come on?

Wondering if you've only got a video output problem, and not a dead computer.

Tom M.

D

Deleted member 8987

Is this a 1545?

Try to release flea power and see if that helps.To release flea power disconnect the charger,remove the battery and press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds(with battery and charger disconnected).Now put back the battery and reconnect the charger and turn on the system.

D

Deleted member 8987

More:

Its a no power situation and its same with different adapters.There is not much of trouble shooting that can be done as you've already tried the basic trouble shooting steps.It could be an issue with the charger board or the motherboard/system board.Charger board has the AC adapter connector port,so if its an issue with that port,you need to get the charger board replaced.If that does not solve the problem you may need to get the motherboard replaced.

"The charger has a blue light when plugged in at the mains but turns off when plugged into the laptop and does not charge."

If the charger LED turns off when the charger is connected to the system it indicates an issue with the motherboard.

If releasing flea power did not help you may try to remove and reseat the memory module,HDD and optical drive.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
The monitor lights turning orange is normal. It just means they are not receiving a signal from the computer. If there is no sign of life, I'd look at the PSU ( power supply module) first.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
The monitor lights turning orange is normal. It just means they are not receiving a signal from the computer. If there is no sign of life, I'd look at the PSU ( power supply module) first.

That was my first thought too.

D

Deleted member 8987

Ah. I saw the wife's laptop and transposed.

No battery, it's most likely the power supply. Had it happen before to me.
We had a computer recycling outfit locally then, was able to go down and pick out a loose power supply from the bin of such for ten bucks.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OK - if it's the power supply, you can replace it yourself. So just call Dell Support (or go to support.dell.com), punch in the Service Tag number (on the back of the case) and get a replacement.

Or pull the power supply, then search ebay for the same part number and Dell model.

Should take about 30 minutes to do the replacement job.

Tom M.

Country flag
Yea, I had the same type issue a year or so ago. Took the power supply out and Best Buy tested it to confirm it was dead. Cost about $25 bucks to get a new one. replaced it myself, took about 15 minutes, including when I removed the old one. Just note which wires go where for reassembly.

D

Deleted member 8987

and be source selective. You start looking at parts direct from dell, you'll get sticker shock. Just did that three weeks ago on an old dell laptop....HD and Motherboard each were more than the laptop cost.
So, other sources.

Country flag
Yea the new one I got wasn't a Dell brand replacement, just whatever the store brand was. But looked exactly the same so I suspect it was the same supplier made.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My repair guy thought it was a power supply issue. His work is good, reasonable and guaranteed. He also confirmed that the yellow monitor light is normal. I tested the power cord and it was fine. One of these years I'll take a course in computer repair, but now...In the meantime, the laptop is behaving itself so I'm still "on the air". Thanks for the tips.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I had an old Phoenix tower computer that I bought new and it did a similar thing after it was about 5 years old. It wouldn't boot and the only thing that worked was the fan. Found out it was the battery for the motherboard. It didn't take a button battery, it took a AA in a separate case, like I said, old computer! :highly_amused:

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Shop called back. Not the PS. Something on the motherboard. Estimated will cost $175. Told hime to go ahead. Cheaper than a new computer. Have to be in NYC tomorrow by 6:30 am for my operation. Supposed to be pouring rain. Fun...

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Shop called back. Not the PS. Something on the motherboard. Estimated will cost $175. Told hime to go ahead. Cheaper than a new computer. Have to be in NYC tomorrow by 6:30 am for my operation. Supposed to be pouring rain. Fun...

praying for you! (and I suppose the computer too) :cheers:

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Surgery done and arm still attached but wrapped like a mummy. I watched almost the whole operation on a computer screen with a local instead of anesthesia because I drank a tiny bit of orange juice in a glass of water to wash down my morning pills and they would have to have waited another hour before they could operate. It was fascinating watching her sew up a 2" wide incision. Like repairing a torn pair of pants. Driving in to NYC at 5 am was a nightmare but we got there about 2 minutes late after parking in their garage. Some of the nurses were real characters. Sloan Kettering is the place to go for cancer surgery. The wrap stays on for 48 hours but no golf, tennis or bocce for a while but tonight I'm going to try to play my ukulele at a meetup. They re-programmed my pacemaker before and after the surgery. I told Dr. Ariyan it was like doing sheet metal work on a car.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Glad to hear things went smoothly... here's to a speedy recovery.