• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Which Original Oil filter assembly for BN7

F Schreiber

I have an BN7 built late dec 1959.

How do I tell which original oil filter assy is supposed to be with my car. The service parts spares list shows three, 1B2897, AEC897, and AEC675
But it doesn't say which enging number they start and end with. The originality guide does not go into detail about it.

dezand

Country flag
I believe there are only two options, Tecalemit (1B2897) or the Purolator (AEC897)
My BT7 was built in Nov 1959 and has the Purolator.

OP
F

F Schreiber

Well, I wonder why the AEC 675 is listed in the Service Parts list, its the last one on the list, and the parts listing unclear to me any details about the three different one. I appreciate your feedback. It makes me worry about buying the AEC675 i see for sale and it looks real good. But I hate to write the wrong one.

The Originbiality guide for restorations talks about the 100-4 and 100-6 filters, but no details about what supposed to be on a 3000.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
OP
F

F Schreiber

well, I had looked at the BN7 parts book before your post, and after I looked at the Moss, and I see they all have the same Adapter elbow, which must be the AEC675, its the rest of the stuff is whats different, so I bet I would have to have at least the exterior correct, and none of the numbers they quote match the number in my book. So that helps me decide that maybe I better not get that one. I just want to so I have the correct one for the car.

I would need the Tecalemit early,. And I don't really know how much different they look on the outide, the (canister and bolt). But there are oil filter assys for sale on E bay all the time, I will have to look more closely for the right one. Thanks.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I did not know that the different innards required different cannisters and fixing bolts, etc. Perhaps someone can give you appropriate measurements to help with your quest.

And now I will give some unsolicited advice--get a spin on adaptor and filter! Changing the original is, as I am sure you know, a real PITA and it is actually possible to stack the O-rings, etc. incorrectly and wind up with no filtration. The best adaptors have the filter hanging upside down so that you can remove and install with little or no leakage and you can also fill the filter with oil and eliminate a slug of air hitting the oil pump. Unfortunately I don't know who sells that configuration adaptor and I have the usual type that projects the filter at a right angle to the block.

Rant finished....

OP
F

F Schreiber

I have the spin on adapter on the car, sticks out like yours. (I supposed one could poor a bit of oil in that one to star with.) I just want to get the original so I have all the original stuff that came with the car, especally while I can get it. Eventually those things will disappear.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I would need the Tecalemit early,. And I don't really know how much different they look on the outide, the (canister and bolt). But there are oil filter assys for sale on E bay all the time, I will have to look more closely for the right one. Thanks.
I took off a Tecalement when I put on the spin on. It has "Tecalemit" cast on the filter head.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have three spares kicking around in parts boxes . I can look tomorrow if ones says tecalamit on it .

OP
F

F Schreiber

10-4 Thanks. I hate to be fussy, but I am looking for one in real good shape that I can make look like new. And that is the correct one. If they have numbers on please let me knkow what they are so I can comepare to the spare parts manual.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Is this what your looking for , will need a coat of paint thats all . You wont find a new one they are NLA .

OP
F

F Schreiber

That looks real good. Best picture I have seen. I need to look and see. I can't read the numbers on it. Looking at moss catalog There is Tecalemit early and Tecalemit late.
I need the early. And I am not a whizz on this but the right angle piece that bolts to the car might have AEC675 on it, What are the other numbers on it, I think i see cat #.
Which one does it match in the moss catalog, early or late? Where the canister connects to the base is different arrangement between early and late.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Like this ?
the only difference between late n early is the bolt thread BSF/UNF and guts which is internal .
Im fairly sure a concourse judge wont ask to open up the oil filter on the show field .

OP
F

F Schreiber

Well I doubt whether I will ever have my car judged in that way. I just for personal satisfaction have the correct one. So is this one a late or early?? I did not see the numbers in the book at quick glance. It looks really good. I want it to be the early.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well I doubt whether I will ever have my car judged in that way. I just for personal satisfaction have the correct one. So is this one a late or early?? I did not see the numbers in the book at quick glance. It looks really good. I want it to be the early.
I have no idea , it was in a job lot of parts I bought on flea bay . If its not “correct” then just buy new internals and make it “correct”

OP
F

F Schreiber

I find where it says that's right one, and one that says it for later. I just sent a note to another person. Suggestions on who to ask?

OP
F

F Schreiber

One on the registry guys says there are almost none out there with the wrong threads. I don't see these #'s in the the books on forum I just found out about. Evidenty they don't show the Tecalemit #. So I am interested in buying this. I need to figure out how to PM you so I can buy this from you.