• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Internet Search Saves the day again

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
A problem just popped up on my 07 Santa Fe. I was getting a bunch of codes that were telling me both banks were running lean AND rich at the same time. When the car was cold, I could start it and drive for a while and no codes would pop up. But if I stopped somewhere, then restarted the car while it was still warm, all of the sudden the codes would pop up again. It was always the same codes saying banks 1 and 2 were running rich and also that both banks were running lean:

- 1/9: P2187 - System too lean bank 1
- 2/9: P0171 - System too lean bank 1
- 3/9: P0172 - System too lean bank 2
- 4/9: P2187 - System too lean at idle bank 1
- 5/9: P2188 - System too rich at idle bank 1
- 6/9: P0174 - System too lean bank 2
- 7/9: P0175 - System too rich bank 2
- 8/9: P2189 - System too lean at idle bank 2
- 9/9: P2190 - System too rich at idle bank 2

Any ONE of those codes could mean a bad O2 sensor in one of the banks, but it didn't seem logical that the O2 sensors on both banks would go bad at exactly the same time. After some research another forum, I learned that the fuel tank surge control valve being bad can cause both "rich" and "lean" codes to occur at the same time.

Based on that I just went ahead and changed the fuel tank purge control valve since it was easy to change and VIOLA - problem fixed.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Good deal! I wsted too much money buying the workshop manuals for SWMBO's Camry. Found answers faster using YouTube or forums.