• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Janet has a new toy. And I have a couple of MGBs that will be needing a new home.

After much deliberation and see-sawing, we decided to look for a car that we can both drive and enjoy. I restored the '73 B several years ago for Janet, but she's only driven it a couple of times. Way back when, she drove manual transmissions, but has gotten "lazy" and spoiled with automatics. So, we started talking about finding something she'd like, and the XK was tops on her list.

We found this one locally, an '03 model, and at first thought it was really too good to be true. But true it is! Less than 17,000 miles on it, and absolutely pristine. Owned by an elderly couple who bought it in '05 with 4500 miles on it back then. A two-owner car, and the second owner put less than 13,000 miles on it in 14 years.

So, the '73 Black Tulip convertible will be on the market soon, as well as my '69 GT V6 conversion. Not a decision made in haste - I have really enjoyed building these two cars and driving them - especially the GT! But I now have the TF replica to play with, and the XK8 is one fantastic machine!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190614_151553.jpg
    IMG_20190614_151553.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 12

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Beautiful! Similar story how Mary got her BMW Z4. We found it on the Air Force Base "Lemon Lot." It had belonged to a guy who unfortunately died unexpectedly and his widow was selling it with a bit over 16k miles on it. We've talked off and on over the years about getting another Jag (had a 78 XJ6 back in the early 80s). That was one comfortable car on the highway! I'm sure you will enjoy your new Kitty.

D

Deleted member 8987

Welcome to the dark side.
You now own a marque notorious for it's penchant for $100 bills.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nice car Mickey!
A few years ago I went to look at a car for sale that was also “too good to be true”.
I told the lady selling it that it was priced too low and offered her more money. She refused to take more and told me it was her mother’s car who recently passed away. She said every time she saw it she was reminded of her mom and just wanted it off her driveway.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Nice looking car Mickey, but I'm afraid that $100 comment was a bit optimistic.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mickey - congratulations on the new house cat. Really nice looking car for sure. Top down, some great drives in the Smokies are ahead.

You probably have mixed feelings on parting with the MGs, but retirement does change perspectives.

Tom M.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Will you still associate with us low-life MG people?

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Did quite a bit of research, and there's a ton of support for XKs for the DIYer, and I'm certainly not afraid of taking on most any needed repair. Parts from the dealer are, of course, pricey, but there are lots of other sources out there.

Anyway, we're stoked - never thought we'd be Jag owners, but current pricing is extremely attractive. Plus, as Tom stated, retirement is a whole different world.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Excellent choice! My Brother in Law sent me a link to a B for sale this week - he is not a tinkerer - I sent a link to just one of those jags for all the reasons you describe. enjoy!

dklawson

Yoda
A friend of mine recently picked up a Lister XJS... while also thinning his herd. This is his second XJS. After the first one he swore he wouldn't own another until he could pay someone else to fix it. He's already contemplating selling the Lister. May your Jag be infinitely more reliable and less costly.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
As mentioned, this was not a decision made without a lot of thought and research. The '73 B that I restored has not been driven as it should; I have taken it out on occasion and kept all fluids fresh. But Janet just doesn't want to drive it. Pity, that, but it is what it is.

And the GT conversion has been a delight. I built it with the notion that it would serve as our "trip" car to take out on short excursions and to car shows and meets out of town. It's weather-tight, of course, and has air conditioning. Drove it to Indianapolis, West Virginia, Virginia and several other long trips, and while it does very well, it's still a bit on the small side and not exactly as quiet a ride as we'd like. (Yeah, I know - old age rearing its ugly head!)

Now that I've completed the TF replica, and as pleased as I am with how it turned out, I know it's going to provide a lot of joy. But that makes three "old" cars to maintain in addition to our daily drivers (which are a 2015 Highlander and a 2013 Xterra, both requiring little regular attention). And while I am retired and have lots of time, I also have other interests I want to pursue and crawling around under cars is starting to lose its appeal.

As for the XK and quality issues, Jaguar has come a long way over the years. According to owners I've consulted and the research I've done, the consensus is that starting in '02 they made quite a bit of progress in raising quality. And besides the low miles on this car, we got to know the owners somewhat upon visiting and checking the car out. Plus, the car went through an extensive inspection at the local Jaguar dealer (at considerable expense!) and everything checked out, with one exception which was corrected: the oil pan gasket was seeping a bit of oil and was replaced.

So, bottom line is I'm quite happy and know that we're going to enjoy this gorgeous car for quite a while. The ride is extremely comfortable and quiet; it's a fairly heavy car and has driver and passenger safety items in place; there's room to stretch out; trunk is plenty roomy; etc., etc. Oh, and the sale of the two MGBs should pretty much cover its price (or maybe even put a little in our pocket, if the stars and planets align). What's not to love?!

And, of course, the real bottom line is that Janet is over the moon with it!

s-l1600.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"And, of course, the real bottom line is that Janet is over the moon with it!"

Happy wife, happy life?

(Thanks for sharing all the details. More guys should be as honest as you in revealing the many reasons for change.)

Tom M.
Oh to be 60 again ...

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
D

Deleted member 8987

the car went through an extensive inspection at the local Jaguar dealer (at considerable expense!) and everything checked out, with one exception which was corrected: the oil pan gasket was seeping a bit of oil and was replaced.

Let the games begin.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hope it's a good one for you, Mickey. Lovely looking cars for sure. As someone with 3 old (currently broken) cars to maintain, I can appreciate the desire to make a switch.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Drew.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Best of luck. I always wanted a Jag starting with the XK 120 but could never see over the steering wheel. I have reluctantly decided to part with my TR6 for the reason that I can no longer do my own maintenance and I have the Alfa now to sink $$ into.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
More information pictures on the MG's?
I looked,but didn't see them in the classified forum.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag