• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1952 Nash Healey Lightweight

Joe_Healey

Country flag
Tuxedo Park show today.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_16fb.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_16fb.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 215

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Never have seen that one before. But I do see the front trailing arm suspension that carries the spindle and hub. Thanks.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
This is from a letter Roger Menadue wrote me about this car:

"The Specials are nearly all cars that I made for Donald. I made about 300 cars in all; the prototypes of all the cars that went into production during the 30-odd years that we [the Donald Healey Motor Company] existed. I also made all of the race cars and the record breakers, including the Salt Flats cars. When I say I made these cars, I had a young Scots lad as my assistant as a lot of work on building a car requires two people.

"I was always interested in cars, so I did a seven-year apprenticeship in a garage, and when I finished I went on to Coventry, and in the 1920s Coventry was the centre of the British car industry. There I was employed by Triumph as a road tester. After 3 years I went to "5.5. Cars," also as a road tester. They are now known as Jaguar. I then did two years with Armstrong Siddeley Aircraft working on bombers, and the war came on and I was "frozen" - I wasn't allowed to leave. Towards the end of the war, Donald and I made our first car in our spare time.

"In 1950, Donald asked me how would I like to make a car for Le Mans. I replied that I would love to make a car for Le Mans. We would not win Le Mans, but we would give the opposition an awful fright and that was exactly what we did. In a field of 62 cars, we finished in fourth place. [Editor~ note: This was a Nash Healey driven by Tony Rolt and Duncan Hamilton, beating all but two Talbots and an Allard.]

"The following year, 1951, we finished in 6th place [Editor~ note: This was a Nash Healey Coupe, again driven by Rolt and Hamilton.] This was still good for Le Mans, to finish is something of a feat. I believed that you had to study a car when you were building it, and that paid off. I have, on several times when things got a little tense at some race or other, in the pits said to the other driver or Geoff Healey that I was not at all worried. That my car was not going to let me down and they would not, they have any say in the building, either. They had been built with understanding, and this one learns during apprenticeship and paying attention.

"In 1952, I was able to do what everyone said was impossible. I built a Le Mans race car to replace the car that I had prepared for the 1952 Le Mans 24 hour race and that Donald Healey had completely written off. With less than 2 weeks to go, I said that I could make another car, body and all. Donald and Geoffrey both said, "Impossible," nobody could build a Le Mans race car complete with body in less than two weeks. I said, "Maybe not but I can.” They said “Don’t be ridiculous” I said. “You two will not have any say in the building, either. I can’t have people arguing, it will never get done.” They knew they couldn’t argue with me and had to give in. They were furious especially Donald, and more so when I had that car ready on time. But worse was to follow. In the race, my car beat every other car in the race including one of the 3 works Mercedes. I beat the Ferraris, the Jaguars, Aston Martins, Cunninghams, Talbots, you name them. I beat them and Donald was furious. He wouldn't allow a picture of that car in any Healey book. [Editor~ note: This was again a Nash Healey, driven this time by Leslie Johnson and Tommy Wisdom, and finishing third overall behind only two factory-entered Mercedes.]
rm3.jpg
"The Specials are nearly all cars that I made for Donald. I made about 300 cars in all; the prototypes of all the cars that went into production during the 30-odd years that we [the Donald Healey Motor Company] existed. I also made all of the race cars and the record breakers, including the Salt Flats cars. When I say I made these cars, I had a young Scots lad as my assistant as a lot of work on building a car requires two people.

"I was always interested in cars, so I did a seven-year apprenticeship in a garage, and when I finished I went on to Coventry, and in the 1920s Coventry was the centre of the British car industry. There I was employed by Triumph as a road tester. After 3 years I went to "5.5. Cars," also as a road tester. They are now known as Jaguar. I then did two years with Armstrong Siddeley Aircraft working on bombers, and the war came on and I was "frozen" - I wasn't allowed to leave. Towards the end of the war, Donald and I made our first car in our spare time.

"In 1950, Donald asked me how would I like to make a car for Le Mans. I replied that I would love to make a car for Le Mans. We would not win Le Mans, but we would give the opposition an awful fright and that was exactly what we did. In a field of 62 cars, we finished in fourth place. [Editor~ note: This was a Nash Healey driven by Tony Rolt and Duncan Hamilton, beating all but two Talbots and an Allard.]

"The following year, 1951, we finished in 6th place [Editor~ note: This was a Nash Healey Coupe, again driven by Rolt and Hamilton.] This was still good for Le Mans, to finish is something of a feat. I believed that you had to study a car when you were building it, and that paid off. I have, on several times when things got a little tense at some race or other, in the pits said to the other driver or Geoff Healey that I was not at all worried. That my car was not going to let me down and they would not, they have any say in the building, either. They had been built with understanding, and this one learns during apprenticeship and paying attention.

rm4.jpg
"In 1952, I was able to do what everyone said was impossible. I built a Le Mans race car to replace the car that I had prepared for the 1952 Le Mans 24 hour race and that Donald Healey had completely written off. With less than 2 weeks to go, I said that I could make another car, body and all. Donald and Geoffrey both said, "Impossible," nobody could build a Le Mans race car complete with body in less than two weeks. I said, "Maybe not but I can.” They said “Don’t be ridiculous” I said. “You two will not have any say in the building, either. I can’t have people arguing, it will never get done.” They knew they couldn’t argue with me and had to give in. They were furious especially Donald, and more so when I had that car ready on time. But worse was to follow. In the race, my car beat every other car in the race including one of the 3 works Mercedes. I beat the Ferraris, the Jaguars, Aston Martins, Cunninghams, Talbots, you name them. I beat them and Donald was furious. He wouldn't allow a picture of that car in any Healey book. [Editor~ note: This was again a Nash Healey, driven this time by Leslie Johnson and Tommy Wisdom, and finishing third overall behind only two factory-entered Mercedes.]

Last edited:

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Rick, That is such a good story it was worth reading twice! I have met Roge several times, his sister lives in Brisbane and he visited several times. Among the documents at the Healey Museum in Vreeland, Hans has Rog’s drivers license on display. On it his name is Reginald! A charming man, but not one prone to modesty! Why should he be?

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Steve, Thanks for posting this photo. I have seen Sampietro’s drawing of this design but never the actual engine. Although it looks like a twin cam it has a single cam in the block, pushrods and cross pushrods operating the opposing valves. BMW, Bristol & Maserati also employed this system. Awfully complicated! I wonder if it had Webers in 1952?
cheers,
Alwyn

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Leonard McCue of Florida races a Nash-Healey coupe which is described as a Le Mans lightweight. it is beautifully kept though I do not know how competitive it is
I believe the Nash Healey Pininfarina Coupe was marketed as the ‘Le Mans’ to celebrate their success.
Cheers,
Alwyn