• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Surrey backlight seal

PeterK

Yoda
Does anyone know of a backlight glass seal that is the correct size? I just bought one from TRF that's about 4" too long and their solution is to make another cut and section a piece out. They apparently know that the length is incorrect. It already has a glued cut at the top from when it was made. So I would end up with two pieces one for each side. In my mind cutting a seal and sealing are polar opposites. TRF seal.jpg

Thanks.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It has now been about five years since I used the ones from TRF. At that time I would have said that the seal could have been an inch or two longer.
Have you tried fitting the seal to the glass. That bottom corner is a sharp corner. I am guessing that the glass may take up some of what you now believe to be excess. Not sure it will make up all of your excess.

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
If it was a length instead of a loop, it would fit just fine and have only one glued seam - that's what I got stuck on. So I just ordered a length-type from Rimmer. Wait and see.

TRF Chuck was good and helpful.

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
If it was a length instead of a loop, it would fit just fine and have only one glued seam - that's what I got stuck on. So I just ordered a length-type from Rimmer. Wait and see.

TRF Chuck was good and helpful.

New seal came from Rimmer today. It's a closed surround (even though their website photo show an un-joined length,) and looks like the same supplier as the TRF seal.
But one big difference - the person measured this one correctly before joining the cut ends - so after a quick test fit, it appears correct.

It cost me shipping two ways from TRF, oh well at least I got a part that fits and Rimmer with shipping was less than TRF before shipping.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It will beneficial to all of us if you will report back about how well this new seal works.

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
It's the same seal as TRF just assembled correctly to the proper length although I haven't installed the window because the car is still in primer. So it looks like a good fit at this stage.

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
When I get the time, I'm going to fit the new seal to the back glass for a final check. And shoot a photo.

It's the same seal as TRF just assembled correctly to the proper length although I haven't installed the window because the car is still in primer. So it looks like a good fit at this stage.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
This was about two years ago but a friend of mine had the same issue - and found the one from Victoria British was a great fit. Might be worth a try.

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
Thanks Randy, Seems the one from Rimmer is good.

This was about two years ago but a friend of mine had the same issue - and found the one from Victoria British was a great fit. Might be worth a try.