• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hello

mldwyer

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi,

I'm Mike from East Tennessee. I am working on my 1970 E-type FHC. It has been on the back burner for several years due to a move from California in 2012. With an addition to our home, a remodel to our kitchen, and an addition to my daughters home, and catching up on the deferred maintenance to our other vehicles I am back on the Jaguar.

It was partially disassembled when we moved. I rebuilt the engine, transmission, steering gear, subframes, and front suspension prior to our move. Today, I dropped the engine to inspect it after the time that has passed and to prep it to start up for the first time. I also want to figure out the air conditioning mounting and alignment. It looks easier with the engine out. Then I'll remove the A/C, reinstall the engine, and refit the A/C.

I've refinished the dash, repaired the turn signal switch by fabricating a small return lever spring, and have worked on some of the wiring.

My plan is a daily driver. It is a fair car with some rust issues to deal with. You know, it looks good from 20 feet.

I'll see if I can figure Photos out.

That's my story and I',m sticking to it.

Keep smiling,

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 19

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Wooo - that is a great looking car!

Welcome to BCF. There's a rumor we have another member in eastern Tennessee ... and another E-type owner in New Mexico ...

Here's our Jaguar forum for asking specific questions:

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/forumdisplay.php?15-Jaguar

What got you interested in the E-type?

Tom M.
(My only Jaguar connection - I had a 1955 Mark VII back in college. Sure wish I still had it.

OP
M

mldwyer

Freshman Member
Country flag
The rest of the story.

I was 13 when my family moved to Eureka, California in December 1962. Barry Jacobs lived across a field from us. He had a DHC E-type. That was it, I was hooked. In the 70's, while living in Huntington Beach, California, I maintained two Series II E-types for friends in exchange for the pleasure of driving (and test driving) them. My friend Tom seemed to need tuning pretty often. Once, he complained that driving up the Pacific Coast Highway he was playing with a Ferrari and the E would crap out around 105 - 110 MPH. I installed Champion N-3 plugs and he regained his top end. Now, though, it was loading up around town. I took a ride with him and observed his driving style. Leaving a light, he would short shift at 1500 RPM and be in 4th gear at 30 to 35 MPH. He usually drove big American sedans with big engines and automatic transmissions. He was fouling the plugs.

I mentioned the Jaguar was a sports car and needed to be driven in a sporting manner. If he wanted me to continue maintaining it for him he should wait until at least 3000 - 3500 to up shift, blow it out on freeway on ramps, and never drive around town under 2500 RPM. So probably never in 4th in town. He begin driving like that and a big smile came upon his face. After a few weeks he told me he had never enjoyed driving the car as much.

In 2007, I I purchased my 1970 E-Type. It needed work and I worked on it until early 2011 when we began preparing for our move to Tennessee. The rest is history and I am happy to be spending most of my time working on it now. I am sorting out the A/C and moving forward.

The TD must be a lot of fun. Do you have a photo?

Thanks for the comment.

Keep smiling,

Mike

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome, Mike, from Townsend! Several very active clubs in the area - ours in Blount County (Maryville), English Auto Society in Knoxville, Plateau British Car Club in Crossville, and E. Tennessee British Car Club in Morristown.

Mickey

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Wow - he was driving an E in top gear at 35 mph? :eek:

The TD is definitely a fun car. I'm the second owner - original paint, bright work, upholstery, weather gear - amazing condition, and only 37K miles.

Fog lamp.jpg