• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Post-War Other HERALD Simple Task turns into another project.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I ordered a new set of gaiters for the steering rack a year ago and finally got around to changing them. First, since the Herald has a panel added to both sides of the engine bay, I was unable to get the boots over the rack so I removed the rack. I'd recommend that anyway unless you are more agile and dexterous than I, which is likely. So I got the gaiters on, the rack cleaned and greased, and finally found the little nylon button that fell out when I removed the rack.
And of course I got a pair of tie rod ends while at it.
Now all together again but when I went to check the toe, I found it's off by an inch! The Moss ends, 668-040, are longer than the originals by a half inch. Yes, I was not smart enough to compare them before I put them on. Even at $13 and some change for the pair, I didn't expect a different size. Since these supposedly fit a bunch of other Triumphs, I wonder if anyone else has had this problem. Maybe one size fits all idea? Maybe boxed wrong?
I will note that Moss and others list a Lucas brand GST 158 as an alternative for slightly more money. It would be good to know what's going on before I order them. I could also probably adjust these to work but don't really like that idea. In addition to the length, they appear a bit more bulky than the originals and come closer to the brake rotor.
Tom

Merlin63Tr4

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Lucas = TRW

M.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. The Lucas brand seems to be still available regardless of the business ownership. I believe the the GSL158 is the Lucas number. Here's a set on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/i/191287048069?chn=ps
And yes I can make these work as long as there is enough thread inside the ends, and I think there is but I would much prefer not to have to make them work. I think I will order the Lucas ends and see what I get.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
GSJ158 is the current "generic" part number for the tie rod end; they fit all Heralds, Spitfires, Vitesses and GT6s. I'd look into either Spitbits ($10)for the GSJ158 or Stanpart 146728 from The Roadster Factory (a bit pricier @ $16, but they are good replicas of the original greaseable version of the tie rod end). As to Lucas as a brand name, it seems to have taken on more of a Q-H aura, as in "let's trade on the name by putting it on pretty much anything we can think of even if such a part was never originally sold by Lucas"! :(

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Hopefully the GSJ158 will fit as that's what I ordered before I read you post. My original order, 668-040 from Moss clearly does not fit, and from everything I've read, it should. Perhaps someone simply pulled the wrong package from the bin.
Incidentally, someone sent me a link for a NOS QH brand on ebay. They were lacking the rubber boots it seemed, according to the pictures. Mine were lacking the boots also, which is one main reason I changed them. I wonder if the QH versions didn't use the boots?
http://Stock/222256543111?hash=item...:USPSPriorityMailSmallFlatRateBox!01835!US!-1
Tom

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Replacement boots can be found, although I'll be darned if I remember where I've seen them! I don't know, though, that I've ever seen replacement tie rod ends sold without them! On the other hand, given the typical quality of rubber available today, I'll be surprised if whatever boots come with your new tie rod ends last more than a couple years. :(

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Replacement boots can be found, although I'll be darned if I remember where I've seen them!...

I used these on my Jaguar, possibly similar to a TRs needs?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BTNND6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

e4JiZf2.jpg

Still fine 6 years later.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Thanks George, they do appear identical to my old (original?) ends, the QH (Quentin Hazen?) look as Andy calls it. Could have saved a lot of frustration had I simply added the boots but now have "Lucas" brand ends on order.
I wonder if your Jaguar ends had no boots or simply worn ones?
The original lock nuts were thinner too.
Tom