Thread: supporting BE tonneau cover during heavy rains

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

supporting BE tonneau cover during heavy rains

Our tonneau settles under the weight of the water during a rainstorm, tugging the 'sides' away from the doors. I expect that it has stretched a bit over the years and will continue stretching until such time as water will start flowing over the edge of the tonneau and down the insides of the doors. Any suggestions as to approaches to supporting the tonneau so less water accumulates? Thanks, Doug
    1959 pristine 948 cc Bug-Eye; DCOE, 5 speed; bought 1971
    1960 BE bought 1971 & stored since; body tub restored and reassembling (1275; etc.)
    1962 AH 3000 BJ7; 3rd owner (1982?); in shop Oct. 2015 for paint job - home soon!
    1962 VW Meyers Manx clone dune buggy; stripped last winter and being reassembled
    1969 Kawasaki 500 H1 Triple, orig. owner; stored since 1973, but runs again! 1999 Buell S3

Jedi Warrior
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: supporting BE tonneau cover during heavy rains

Try putting a large beach ball in the passenger seat.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

X2
    Bill’s advice easiest and simplest.
    Jim Gruber - Apollo Beach, FL
    Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
    Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new - I am the painter now - 09/01/19 start - Sanding, sanding

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Found a (approximate) 20 inch dia/64" circumference exercise ball in the basement and it does the trick; still need to pick up a twin for the second seat.
    I bought a couple of 16 inch beach balls and they were too small; will try putting some scrap foam rubber on the seat to see if I can space the 16 inch up enough, as a quick search didn't turn up any 20" inflatable beach balls locally, and the dang exercise balls are a lot bulkier when it comes time to store them. Doug

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

IIRC there was a 2 piece tubular bar that slipped into the sockets right behind the seats (where the top bows fit) that supported the cover at that point. It also allowed the cover to be taken off the seat area, draped over the bar and attached to the bulkhead behind the seats when driving. This might be Moss part numbers 453-605 and 453-635 but I would think something similar could be fabricated for a lot less money.

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think these will fit the bugeye.
    GeorgeinFlagstaff
    54 BN1
    59 AN5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm not sure, but if the bugeye has the sockets on each side for the top frame I'd certainly look at fabricating some kind of bow. Perhaps electrical conduit or pvc pipe & fittings. Even if it doesn't have the sockets I think I would still prefer a little fabrication time over a pair of beach balls, just looks more professional.

Jedi Warrior
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well if you live by the beach they can serve double duty

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The cockpit on the non-BE Spridgets is longer than our BE, so presumably would benefit from an additional support. Our cockpit ends right behind the seats - the exercise ball looks like the best equivalent to the later series tonneau support. Now, if someone also has suggestions to keep water getting under the edges or through the zipper, t'would be appreciated. We had a lot rain up until a week back, and she's a wee bit dampish inside. Doug

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is there a way to add a snap or two on each side, perhaps splitting the run into thirds which would help keep it taut? Or, at the risk of stating the obvious, don't park it in the rain.

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I like the 'don't park it in the rain'. I'd rather not change anything on the body. One thing I'd been thinking originally was just to cut a piece of 1x6 to an appropriate length and slip it in under the tonneau and rest it on the tops of the doors.
    I took a 16 inch beach ball and two chunks of foam rubber, maybe 3.5" thick each, and put them all on the driver's seat this evening and it looks good (so to speak). There's a chance of a thunderstorm tonight or tomorrow evening, so a chance to test. Also sprayed the zipper with a silicone spray to help keep it slidin'; doubt if there's any waterproofing involved.
    The foam is two chunks that I'd cut to roughly the size of the seat cushions in the past, to provide a bit more cushioning for long rides. Doug