• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Transmission Front Seal

Gadwhite

1964 BJ8 leaking front transmission seal. Quick question for you guys. With the transmission out of the car, do you need to remove the bell housing to replace the front seal on the BJ8 Transmission? If you have any additional tips on doing this job they would be appreciated. I was unable to find any specifics on this job in the big green book or in the Haynes manual.

OP
G

Gadwhite

Rob thanks . Im thinking just using a seal puller Seal puller.jpg like this one. Is that what you did?

RAC68

Darth Vader
With the transmission out of the car, I would take the bell housing off and seal all bolts with thread lock. Also, I would do this to all other bolts that extend through the housing. This will the use of such lubricants as Red Line MTL, M90, and others from leaking through.

Good luck,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If I remember, I think I just drilled a small hole in the surface of the seal and used a storng pick or small screw driver to pry it out. I wasn't difficult.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I think your pick/puller is certainly a more elegant tool than I used so I'm sure it will be fine. Make sure you put some type of sealant around the outside of the seal before you install. I don't remember what I used but someone here will provide good advice.

tabeeR

Freshman Member
Country flag
No, you don't have to remove the bell housing. Well, at least that is what my cousin who worked at a car service said.

tabeeR

Freshman Member
Country flag
So, did you fixed it? Still, the best thing to do is to visit service where guys you'll tell you a concrete answer, and you'll know how to fix your problem. Also, there are a lot of websites on the internet, where you can find the answer to such a question, Take your chances and do it, I am sure you won't be disappointed. If I have a problem with my car or other similar stuff, I usually visit gearboxy.com, here you can find an explanation for almost anything you want to know, moreover guys have some really good prices.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
So, did you fixed it? Still, the best thing to do is to visit service where guys you'll tell you a concrete answer, and you'll know how to fix your problem. Also, there are a lot of websites on the internet, where you can find the answer to such a question, Take your chances and do it, I am sure you won't be disappointed. If I have a problem with my car or other similar stuff, I usually visit gearboxy.com, here you can find an explanation for almost anything you want to know, moreover guys have some really good prices.
You're not likely to get an answer from Gadwhite. He hasn't been on this forum since he posted in this thread back in June of 2019.