Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with points and condenser on '74 TR6 -- or better, choices to get rid of 'em.

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Re: Help with points and condenser on '74 TR6 -- or better, choices to get rid of 'em

I guess I’m odd man out... I’ve been running with a Pertronix trouble free for the last 12-13 years. I’m aware of leaving the ignition on while not running so that’s never been an issue. Failure is always a possibility with any component/system and when that time comes we all deal with the issue whatever it may be.
    Elliot
    Central PA
    1976 TR6 White/Biscuit interior SOLD
    1973 TR6 Damson Plum / Biscuit interior, HVDA 5-speed, Good Parts Hubs
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Help with points and condenser on '74 TR6 -- or better, choices to get rid of 'em

So to update this thread, I did decide to install a Pertronix ignition and got a great result. All issues regarding spark have seemed to go away. I want to thank all members here for their time, help and support in addressing this issue.

For now, it's me and Willie Nelson singing: On The Road Again!
    Thank you!
    Dennis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Congratulations. I'm glad you and your car are back on the road. However, now that you have Pertronix it is time to restate a caveat that was mentioned earlier.

With the Pertronix Ignitor module (not Ignitor 2 or 3) do not leave the ignition switch in the run position with the engine not running. The module can overheat and fail if you leave the key in the run position and the engine is not operating. You will hear different max non-run times mentioned ranging from 1 to 5 minutes. It's not carved in stone. Just remember that if you are going to need to leave the key on for some reason, disconnect the module's red wire first and put it back when you are done.

Another thing to remember is that you should check your ignition timing after fitting the Ignitor module. While your timing may be close enough for the engine to start and run you should not assume that the Ignitor is going to switch at the same time as the points.

EDIT: And don't forget to carry a spare set of points and condenser in the boot... just in case.
    Doug L.
    '64 Morris Mini Cooper-S 1275
    '67 Triumph GT6 Mk1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks again, Doug, for the tip. It is much appreciated. I did set the timing as basically what was done was a tune-up and I thought it appropriate.
    The car seems to be running quite well and, for now, anyway, I am pleased.
    I suppose time will tell, as I am mindful of all bad publicity.
    Best wishes to you and all the folks here on the Forum. Without you, I could never have achieved what I have with my car.
    Sincerely,
    Dennis