Thread: 5 speed install

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

5 speed install

Iím helping a friend install a 1275 with a dogleg 5 speed in a Bugeye Sprite and Iíve done this a few times with a couple of different kits. This one is driving me nuts! Its one of Gerardís adapter plates and tranny mount and it slides in slick as butter. This Bugeye has at least 2Ē between the heater shelf and tranny, so plenty of room to spare. Itís got a little GR starter clocked and out of the way, but the motor mounts will not slide into their slotted brackets. The tranny mount is attached to the tunnel on one side for stability, but the adapter plate and transmission are hitting the frame rail and preventing the engine from dropping all the way in. No amount of BFH, prybar, or other persuasion will get it in place and we may have to pull this lump, grind part of the tranny and adapter plate and try again. What do you experts say?
    Thanks, Rut
    Rut, '60 Bugeye, '70 MGB, '62 TR4, '66 TR4a IRS, '67 TR4a IRS, '68 TR4a IRS, '72 TR6

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Re: 5 speed install

Well Rut, I haven't done that yet so I can't help. But, I bet the experienced ones are gonna want pictures of the problem.
    Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
    '48 Ford Prefect
    '67 Sprite (project)
    '74 Super Beetle
    '73 MB 450SE
    '04 Saab Arc
    http://enfoprefect.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I didn't have any problems like that.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?107334-5-speed-vs-3-9-diff-either-or-both&highlight=speed+3.9+diff
    LINK

[some pics in that lengthy thread]
    - Mark

Former 1956 Austin Healey 100-4 (BN2)
    Former 1962 Mk1 Austin Mini (850)
    Former 1973 Austin Mini (really a 1980s Cooperized Mini)
    Present 1959 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite (with 1275, 5 speed, discs, etc)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I’ve only been involved in a few installs and I’ve never seen the adapter plate and transmission hit the frame rail. It’s basically a 3 point mount, 2 motor mounts and a 4 bolt transmission mount, so the motor mounts need to go up (that ain’t gonna happen) or the transmission mount needs to go up along with judicious trimming of the aforementioned adapter plate and transmission. I’ll pass on the info and once I get back home I’ll dig back in. I wonder how far the transmission mount can be raised? I had it located in the original side bolt holes...
    Thanks, Rut
    Rut, '60 Bugeye, '70 MGB, '62 TR4, '66 TR4a IRS, '67 TR4a IRS, '68 TR4a IRS, '72 TR6

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Be careful not to change the engine / transmission angle too much. Driveshaft u-joints are not constant velocity joints, if the centerline of the engine / trans unit is not parallel to the pinion shaft centerline you will develop a vibration that will take forever to diagnose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Ask Gerard as you say it is his adapter
    Joe Schlosser
    SCCA National License, Retired
    60 Bugeye, since 1966
    SCCA FP, sold but not forgotten

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Not completey visualizing this but IIRC the best engine installation technique is one mount on the car and the other on the engine.
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Rut are you sure you don't have the rear mount from a Morris Minor? They are different.
    Jim Gruber - Apollo Beach, FL
    Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
    Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new - 10/12 Painting done, reassembly, cutting, and buffing in progress.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I have my Rear Mount out of the car right now. I can measure tomorrow when I am over at my Sister's House where Bugsy is stored right now.
    Jim Gruber - Apollo Beach, FL
    Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
    Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new - 10/12 Painting done, reassembly, cutting, and buffing in progress.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Gruber View Post
    I have my Rear Mount out of the car right now. I can measure tomorrow when I am over at my Sister's House where Bugsy is stored right now.
    Jim, thanks...once I get back to the car I can pull everything and measure the transmission mount.
    Rut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schlosser View Post
    Ask Gerard as you say it is his adapter
    Joe,
    Hopefully Gerard will see this thread and offer his advice. Once I get home I’ll be able to offer more assistance on this install with his help. It’s a head scratcher for sure since they all do basically the same thing.
    Thanks, Rut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Rut, I don't know how much Gerard is on here anymore, but I do have his direct contact info if you need it. PM me for the info. He's been very responsive to me as I've done my installs.
    Drew Frink
    '59 RHD Frogeye Sprite - "Penny" sleeping for now
    '66 RHD Morris Minor - "Maggie" awaiting a non-cracked transmission
    '70 RHD MGB - driving in 2019?
    '19 Triumph Bonneville T100 - good to have one that runs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drooartz View Post
    Rut, I don't know how much Gerard is on here anymore, but I do have his direct contact info if you need it. PM me for the info. He's been very responsive to me as I've done my installs.
    Drew, thanks...Jo and I are on vacation and I’ll contact him once we get back. If he does still visit the forums he will probably jump in with his assistance.
    Rut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drooartz View Post
    Drew is correct.

I received an offlist alert from someone regarding this installation issue.

If you knew the gearbox differences well, you'd know that the dogleg remote housing has a different casting for the rear mount. It is about 3/4" shorter than the H-pattern box, which is what my standard mount (and Paul's/Morriservice) was designed to fit. As such, the mount you are using is too short, not too tall. This is what is causing your low position. In the case of installing a dogleg/Rallye shift pattern gearbox, A 3/4" spacer must be installed between the standard mount and the and the gearbox. Unistrut makes some 3/4" stock or you can use some aluminum or steel bar stock. DO NOT USE WOOD. You might get by with only a 1/2" lift, but you'll need to check that your range of motion with the shifter is not inhibited with it sitting that low.
    Gerard
    http://gerardsgarage.com/
    1960 Bugeye Vintage Racer #50
    1960 Bugeye (partially restored)
    1960 Morris Minor Pickup
    1964 Morris Minor 4 dr Saloon
    1970 Austin Mini (for sale)
    1946 Austin 10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Drew is correct.

I received an offlist alert from someone regarding this installation issue.

If you knew the gearbox differences well, you'd know that the dogleg remote housing has a different casting for the rear mount. It is about 3/4" shorter than the H-pattern box, which is what my standard mount (and Paul's/Morriservice) was designed to fit. As such, the mount you are using is too short, not too tall. This is what is causing your low position. In the case of installing a dogleg/Rallye shift pattern gearbox, A 3/4" spacer must be installed between the standard mount and the and the gearbox. Unistrut makes some 3/4" stock or you can use some aluminum or steel bar stock. DO NOT USE WOOD. You might get by with only a 1/2" lift, but you'll need to check that your range of motion with the shifter is not inhibited with it sitting that low.
    Gerard,
    Thanks for the information and I figured you would know. I’ve never installed or helped anyone install a dogleg gearbox and I’ll pass your remarks on. I think he’ll be very happy with that solution and I happen to have some 3/4”x1” aluminum bar stock in the shop. I guess the best way is a full width bar with oversized holes?
    Thanks, Rut