• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

5 speed install

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I’m helping a friend install a 1275 with a dogleg 5 speed in a Bugeye Sprite and I’ve done this a few times with a couple of different kits. This one is driving me nuts! Its one of Gerard’s adapter plates and tranny mount and it slides in slick as butter. This Bugeye has at least 2” between the heater shelf and tranny, so plenty of room to spare. It’s got a little GR starter clocked and out of the way, but the motor mounts will not slide into their slotted brackets. The tranny mount is attached to the tunnel on one side for stability, but the adapter plate and transmission are hitting the frame rail and preventing the engine from dropping all the way in. No amount of BFH, prybar, or other persuasion will get it in place and we may have to pull this lump, grind part of the tranny and adapter plate and try again. What do you experts say?
Thanks, Rut

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Well Rut, I haven't done that yet so I can't help. But, I bet the experienced ones are gonna want pictures of the problem.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I didn't have any problems like that.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?107334-5-speed-vs-3-9-diff-either-or-both&highlight=speed+3.9+diff
LINK

[some pics in that lengthy thread]

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I’ve only been involved in a few installs and I’ve never seen the adapter plate and transmission hit the frame rail. It’s basically a 3 point mount, 2 motor mounts and a 4 bolt transmission mount, so the motor mounts need to go up (that ain’t gonna happen) or the transmission mount needs to go up along with judicious trimming of the aforementioned adapter plate and transmission. I’ll pass on the info and once I get back home I’ll dig back in. I wonder how far the transmission mount can be raised? I had it located in the original side bolt holes...
Thanks, Rut

Stan Kowznofski

Country flag
Be careful not to change the engine / transmission angle too much. Driveshaft u-joints are not constant velocity joints, if the centerline of the engine / trans unit is not parallel to the pinion shaft centerline you will develop a vibration that will take forever to diagnose.

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Ask Gerard as you say it is his adapter

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Not completey visualizing this but IIRC the best engine installation technique is one mount on the car and the other on the engine.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Rut are you sure you don't have the rear mount from a Morris Minor? They are different.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I have my Rear Mount out of the car right now. I can measure tomorrow when I am over at my Sister's House where Bugsy is stored right now.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I have my Rear Mount out of the car right now. I can measure tomorrow when I am over at my Sister's House where Bugsy is stored right now.
Jim, thanks...once I get back to the car I can pull everything and measure the transmission mount.
Rut

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Ask Gerard as you say it is his adapter
Joe,
Hopefully Gerard will see this thread and offer his advice. Once I get home I’ll be able to offer more assistance on this install with his help. It’s a head scratcher for sure since they all do basically the same thing.
Thanks, Rut

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Rut, I don't know how much Gerard is on here anymore, but I do have his direct contact info if you need it. PM me for the info. He's been very responsive to me as I've done my installs.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Rut, I don't know how much Gerard is on here anymore, but I do have his direct contact info if you need it. PM me for the info. He's been very responsive to me as I've done my installs.
Drew, thanks...Jo and I are on vacation and I’ll contact him once we get back. If he does still visit the forums he will probably jump in with his assistance.
Rut

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Drew is correct.

I received an offlist alert from someone regarding this installation issue.

If you knew the gearbox differences well, you'd know that the dogleg remote housing has a different casting for the rear mount. It is about 3/4" shorter than the H-pattern box, which is what my standard mount (and Paul's/Morriservice) was designed to fit. As such, the mount you are using is too short, not too tall. This is what is causing your low position. In the case of installing a dogleg/Rallye shift pattern gearbox, A 3/4" spacer must be installed between the standard mount and the and the gearbox. Unistrut makes some 3/4" stock or you can use some aluminum or steel bar stock. DO NOT USE WOOD. You might get by with only a 1/2" lift, but you'll need to check that your range of motion with the shifter is not inhibited with it sitting that low.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Drew is correct.

I received an offlist alert from someone regarding this installation issue.

If you knew the gearbox differences well, you'd know that the dogleg remote housing has a different casting for the rear mount. It is about 3/4" shorter than the H-pattern box, which is what my standard mount (and Paul's/Morriservice) was designed to fit. As such, the mount you are using is too short, not too tall. This is what is causing your low position. In the case of installing a dogleg/Rallye shift pattern gearbox, A 3/4" spacer must be installed between the standard mount and the and the gearbox. Unistrut makes some 3/4" stock or you can use some aluminum or steel bar stock. DO NOT USE WOOD. You might get by with only a 1/2" lift, but you'll need to check that your range of motion with the shifter is not inhibited with it sitting that low.

Gerard,
Thanks for the information and I figured you would know. I’ve never installed or helped anyone install a dogleg gearbox and I’ll pass your remarks on. I think he’ll be very happy with that solution and I happen to have some 3/4”x1” aluminum bar stock in the shop. I guess the best way is a full width bar with oversized holes?
Thanks, Rut