• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Trivia Time - Normandy Invasion related!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Who is it? What is it? And how did it help enable the Normandy Invasion?

Calculator.jpg

On June 5, 2019 - inquiring minds want to know!

And on June 5, 1944 - inquiring minds *needed* to know!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
His friends called him "Art." His "predictions" were crucial to allowing the D-Day invasion to happen. I know who it is and what it is, but I'll not give too much away. :angel2:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Is it a type of weather station? PJ

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I also know but my lips are sealed.

Mert

It is located in Bletchley Park in Buckinghamshire, England. I spent a whole day looking over all the displays, buildings, etc.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm not familiar with WHO, but I beleive the machine is a tidal calculator for determining which days and times would have offer tides most favorable for a landing, and ensuring that subsequent tides would be lesser and not wash the army off the beach the next cycle.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I'm not familiar with WHO, but I beleive the machine is a tidal calculator for determining which days and times would have offer tides most favorable for a landing, and ensuring that subsequent tides would be lesser and not wash the army off the beach the next cycle.

Bingo!

One of the Doodson/Lege tidal calculators. This one was used prior to the landings to forecast tides for the Normandy beaches.

Getting data for specific areas wasn't exactly easy - British secret mini-subs had to survey the area to get the numbers.

https://blog.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/2015/08/tide-predicting-machines-restored-and-re-displayed/

http://noc.ac.uk/news/d-day-starting-point-modern-uk-oceanography

The photo is Arthur Doodson:

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/pdf/10.1098/rsbm.1968.0008

Regarding Bletchley Park, altho' the Tidal machine resembles the decoding machines used at Bletchley, they're not related.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Ah, the Bidston Observatory, just along the hill from the Windmill. I was up there a couple of years ago, and in a previous life in the Merchant Navy, with Liverpool my home port, I saw it many times. Very nostalgic.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I couldn't see the picture very well, thought maybe it was the "enigma machine" to break German code, I forgot about the tide calculator.