• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Thursday 6/6/19 - 75th Anniversary of D Day

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
We have the National D Day Memorial about 1/2 hour from here,
which is going to hold a service on the 75th anniversary.Wish I could attend.

http://www.dday.org

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Doug - thanks for posting this. I visited the Memorial toward the end of my cross country trip back in 2013.

Some D-Day trivia for you:

5753252_orig.jpg

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
A little more trivia.
My High School track coach, Tom Rice, was a paratrooper and went in 8 hours before the landing on D-Day.
He was part of a team that was charged with among other things with taking the French town of Caratane from the Germans. He is a true hero with many medals.
I didn't know any of this when I was in High School. I recenty learned of his deeds during the war.
I also found out that the current Mayor of Caratane was coming to Coronado to plan for Tom's trip to Carantane where Tom will be the guest of honor and will also jump attached to a French Paratrooper over the town.
Tom is 87 years old.
I arranged with Tom's wife to drive over to Coronado and give Tom a ride in my Bugeye down the Silver Strand and back to his house. It was thrilling being with him again.
In addition I arranged for my friend John to drive over in his 1934 Bugatti and take the Mayor from France and Tom's wife for a ride. They drove to the Hotel Del Coronado and had a good time.
By doing these rides my friend John and I feel like we got to be a very tiny part of the D-Day Celebrations

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
<snip>

I arranged with Tom's wife to drive over to Coronado and give Tom a ride in my Bugeye down the Silver Strand and back to his house. It was thrilling being with him again.
In addition I arranged for my friend John to drive over in his 1934 Bugatti and take the Mayor from France and Tom's wife for a ride. They drove to the Hotel Del Coronado and had a good time.
By doing these rides my friend John and I feel like we got to be a very tiny part of the D-Day Celebrations

Bravo to you! The more I learn about those involved in the Invasion, the more I realize how much we owe them. Whatever we can do to enrich their lives, and remember them, the better off we all are.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When I was 15 years old my dad took me to the beach in southern France where he came up on. He pointed out where machine guns and barriers were. Too bad I was too young to appreciate his “history lesson”. That’s about the only time I remember him talking about the invasion. By the way, he was wounded but recovered. I’m still in possession of his Purple Heart.

Country flag
Supposed to be upwards of 2 dozen C-47s flying over the beaches Thursday and conducting a drop of men/women, would love to be there to see that live.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
What is amnazing is that Tom Rice was born in Coronado,graduated from Coronado High School, went to San Diego State for two years, joined the paratroopers, and then went back to San Diego State and got his degree and then went to teach and coach track at Chuka Vista High School where he was my track coach from 1958 to 1959 and then in 1960 he left Chula Vista to teach at the new high school called Hilltop that was split from Chula Vista and he was my wifes Civics teacher in 1960.
One of the things that I learned from Tom during our visit was that one thing he missed not being at Chula Vista from 1960 0n was that he didn't get to coach Tim Danielson who went to Chula Vista High School in the mid 1960s and broke 4 minutes in the mile in his senior year.
The other amazing thing is that Tom still lives in the same house where he was born in Coronado.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Doug - thanks for posting this. I visited the Memorial toward the end of my cross country trip back in 2013.

Some D-Day trivia for you:

View attachment 59142

"Flash!" ....... "Thunder!" The clicker was used along with that sign and countersign for allied troops to identify each other during the invasion.

This latest theory about the Pointe du Hoc assault possibly being uncessary leaves me uneasy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/hist...have-been-unnecessary/?utm_term=.8c3c51947a1c

Anyone who was part of the assault that day is a hero, and whether the guns weren't there at the top of Pointe du Hoc doesn't diminish the bravery of the men that were dodging machine gun fire and grenades climbing up those ropes. From the Post piece. we don't really get much of an idea of what part the Maisy Battery played or whether it was an important target at all.

This looks like an interesting read, but many feel it may be fake: https://www.amazon.com/DAY-Through-German-Eyes-Hidden-ebook/dp/B00VX372UE

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold