• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR3 1960 refurbish

Rancher2

Freshman Member
Country flag
Trying to locate information on sizing fasteners for the TR3 1960. Anyone able to direct me to a source
would be appreciated.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Welcome to BCF Rancher! This forum (New Member Introductions) is for just introducing yourself. To ask a specific Triumph-related question, you'll have better luck if you post your question in our "Triumph" forum here. Anyway, welcome to the BCF!

UPDATE: I have moved this post to the Triumph forum since it's asking a specific TR-related question. Rancher, you can still post an intro in the New Members forum to introduce yourself.

Last edited:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
First look up the factory part number in the spare parts catalogue
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffMWQ4N2EzZGQtNjc0Ny00YmE2LWFiN2UtZWYzMjNjNGFiYzY4

If the part number you find there starts with two letters, it's a "standard" hardware item and you can look up the specs in the standard hardware catalog
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffMjJhY2YwZmQtYzgxNC00ZTk0LTk1YTUtZTIyZmU3ZTc1Y2M4

But if it has a 5 or 6 digit part number, there is something special about the fastener. It's not always obvious what that is; could be a particular alloy or heat treat level, could be a special length or diameter of the unthreaded shank, or something else entirely. In one case that comes to mind (not on a TR3 tho), the head and threads are SAE but the shank size is metric! In those cases, unless you are very sure of what you are doing, it makes more sense IMO to just buy the appropriate fastener from TRF or Moss.

RJCOX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Welcome. Enjoy your journey. Take lots of pics as you go along. They'll help.

OP
R

Rancher2

Freshman Member
Country flag
TR3driver, thank you for the resources provided. My search is trying to find connectors for 2 specific items. Screws for the windscreen frame and also the handle on the boot. The boot handle has a place for two screws and wondering if there are resources for these kinds of challenges? Thanks for any direction you can give.

RJCOX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I'm always gonna say, the Roadster Factory. Good people there. Just tell them what you need.

Tell Albert I said Hi

Ron

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, what I've already given you is what I use. IMO it's the best; but if you don't like it, you can always try the Moss website.

There are several different (optional) windscreen assemblies; if you have one of the rare ones you may be in trouble. The bottom of page 99 in the SPC (link above) covers the most common variety for later (post TS60000) cars, with chrome frame, chrome stanchions, and bolts to hold it to the body.

It calls for (4) 552662 bolts, which TRF has listed for $2.19 each.

Also (2) CD.31441, which TRF (note that TRF ignores the '.' from the SPC) shows as "561206 SUPPLIED"
So, look up 561206, they're $2.29 each.

There's no illustration of the later type boot lid, but the text is reasonably clear. "Screw, locking handle to lid" 559419
TRF shows "SLP251 SUPPLIED HDW SCREW,OVAL HEAD,SLOTTED"
So, buy a couple of those, only $.69 each.

I know it seems odd at first. But once you get used to it, it's quick and easy. One benefit of using factory part numbers is that many other vendors use the same numbers; so you can (for example) use Google to search for them. For example, searching for "Triumph 559419" (without the quotes) turns up listings at Revington TR and Rimmer Brothers.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Randal

I do find that TRF catalog of parts more difficult to navigate so I am forced to go to Moss if I can't find it at TRF. Often an e mail to Albert will get you an obscure part.

Thanks for the Google tip.

David

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm just curious, what did you not find in the SPC that you did find at Moss?

Note that it's the factory catalog, TRF just uses their part numbers (for the most part).

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Randall

I was not using the SPC .
Just looking for an item that I knew I had seen at one time in TRF catalog but then have a hard time finding it again. The Moss catalog seems to be a bit easier to search for me.

David

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, TRF has at least triple the number of parts they show in the catalog. The key is you MUST have a parts book to look up the original Triumph part number. Then you run the search on the TRF site for that number. Unfortunately more and more parts are showing NLA on the searches. Once you get used to using the parts catalog you will be able to find parts on the TRF site much faster than on Moss. Moss you have to do some guesswork figuring out which page to go to.

RJCOX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I've been to TRF before and encourage you to visit if you're ever in the area. They have a bunch of LBCs inside and can measure and check fits on parts. They treat even small parts orders as just as important as huge parts orders.

OP
R

Rancher2

Freshman Member
Country flag
TR3driver, thank you for the assist. Your comments clarified how I need to proceed so it is greatly appreciated.