• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

More Sprite progress finally

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Been waiting for days or maybe even weeks for two consecutive dry days to get some paint on. Meanwhile, we have been working on, trying to salvage the wiring harness. It's not too bad although most of the original woven cover is gone and replaced with friction tape. There are also a few pretty ugly "customizations" that need to be repaired. The dry days finally came. Or at least the first one did and the forecast for tomorrow is still promising. I managed to get some white epoxy on the entire bottom, including the repaired wheel well. More importantly, I also get that ugly red paint resolved in the engine bay. Now with any luck and assuming my back recovers enough, I will get some of the lovely primrose to cover the primer. Then it comes down off the rotisserie to start assembly. Yes, that is the wheel well and spring hanger box that got all the welding and new metal. Will try to post more tomorrow if successful.

Attachments

• PrimerLFT.jpg
    PrimerLFT.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 224
  • PrimerLRB.jpg
    PrimerLRB.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 216

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
looks great!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Looking good. Nice to see someone making progress. My poor Penny looks reproachfully at me each time I step into the shop... :grin:

OP
Bayless

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Ok, I actually did get it painted yesterday but something, I guess the combination of the flourescent lights and the grey background, fooled my phone camera and made the car look green. Went back today with a real camera and got better results although still a little greenish that I have tried to correct a little bit. Got a closeup of the wheel well that had to be repaired and a couple of others. I think I might be getting a little "long-in-the-tooth" for that much work on two consecutive days. Then again, it is now the third day and is starting to rain with storms to follow shortly.

Attachments

• PaintLR3.jpg
    PaintLR3.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 176
  • PaintRFbottom.jpg
    PaintRFbottom.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 183
  • PaintLF.jpg
    PaintLF.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 174
  • PaintFront2.jpg
    PaintFront2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 176

nomad

Yoda
Primrose has always been a favorite of mine. Looks good!

Kurt

OP
Bayless

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hey, glad to hear there are other who like the color. SWMBO says it is "nice but wouldn't paint her car that color."

OP
Bayless

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
So I spent the better part of last week sanding and stripping the rattle can primer from the interior. Then I primed it Saturday and painted yesterday. I think I'll do the brake line and fuel line to the rear then get it off the rotisserie and start assembly of the many bits that are ready.

Attachments

• BootFloor.jpg
    BootFloor.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 158
  • OffsideWheelHouse.jpg
    OffsideWheelHouse.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Cockpit2.jpg
    Cockpit2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 173

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
My first three cars were originally that Pale Primrose color. The first was painted before I bought it, the second and third I painted red and green respectively. As a young buck my sports cars had to be bright color. Now I really like the light yellow, and you don't see it as often. Looks good.

OP
Bayless

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thank you. Been working on the brake lines and fitting the wiring harness, both seem to be slow. Hope to get off the rotisserie soon and start assembling suspension. Then have to buy some tires.

OP
Bayless

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Back on the jack stands today. Will start installing suspension parts Monday. Only thing holding that up right now is a pair of back ordered brake return springs. Wheels are already painted and may go for tires the following week. OTOH, I may have access to a set of Minilights (copies) at a reasonable price. We'll see if that works out.
FrontOffRotisserie.jpg
I have a pair of taller jack stands that I will put under the rear bumper brackets and remove those at the spring hangers. That should make room to work and avoid too much rear weight while building.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Be sure and get the front jack stands up front under the frame rails. That place where you have the Front jack stands situated is just about the balance point for a Spridget. I was underneath my '68 one time, jack stands where you have them and rear stands under the rear axle. Engine in and rear end installed. I grabbed the body to pull myself out from under the car only to feel the back end come up and about 6" off of the jack stands before I let go and pushed back up. A scary moment. Install the front suspension before you decide to hang the rear end. You'll need access from the rear with the floor jack to get the rear end installed. I did it by myself but safer with a second pair of hands.

OP
Bayless

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I appreciate the advice Jim. It will be a while before the engine but I agree. The front jack stands need to move forward a little. And I do have help with the rear axle.

OP
Bayless

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
More work since the last post. Front and rear suspension completely installed. Brakes installed except for the master cylinders which are next. Fuel system finished as far as can be until the engine is installed. First problem at the back was the right shock. It would interfere with the fuel pump outlet so the mounting bracket had to be modified. Next problem was getting the rebound straps installed. Had to mount two slightly over weight guys (myself included) on the very back to compress the spring enough. Next problem was the rear brake hose. It would interfere with the inlet hose at the fuel pump. Had to change to a remote filter and modify the pump mount yet again. Only real difficulty at the front was getting the lower control arms installed and it was a challenge. Then after helper had installed the brake calipers, I discovered that I have two left and no right. Apparently the car ran that way before so I will give it a try. I figure if I have to I can unmount the right one and hold it upside down to bleed it. Outcome of that is yet to be known. Here is the latest iteration of the fuel pump/filter system and one of the front suspension. That really is kinda pretty I think even though it may be hard to bleed.

Attachments

• FilterFromRear.jpg
    FilterFromRear.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 147
  • OSSuspension2.jpg
    OSSuspension2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
No front sway bar? Ask this list and other forums if they ha e one available from a parts car rusting away in their back yard. Update bushings and links and it will bolt right on. If you are planning on a front tilt bonnet, those towing eyes may or may not work. I have a set for Bugsy I hope to add on the outside of the frame rails.

otherwise really looking good��

OP
Bayless

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks but can't do a front tilt Jim. This is a MkIV. I have a sway bar but the control arms are not drilled for it. Waiting until on the ground to get it all lined up right to drill.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Sure you can do a front tilt on a Mk IV. I did it with Bugsy I. Oh you do need a BE Bonnet but I did it.Bugsy 3rd Coat 2 - small.jpgBugsy Rebuild 04 05 09 - Kentucky Chromed Grille.jpg

OP
Bayless

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I stand corrected. That would be fun and give you the best of both too. Yours looks nice Jim.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
That was Bugsy I sold to Alan Fisher up in New Hampshire. It does provide the advantages if roll up windows, a trunk, and a top that can be put up rather than erected. And most people think it is a BE. But Bugsy drives and handles so much different. I’ll leave it at that. Your Mk IV will be gorgeous when done.

OP
Bayless

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Ok, got a set of Kumho 155 tires. Got the blanking plugs installed for the lower trunions. One side had a burr inside the control arm that had to be ground away to get it to fit. Set it on the ground. Whoo Hoo but she does look small now. Oh, the lights in the rear are just in temporarily for testing. I sure wish the flourescent lights in the shop didn't play such tricks with my camera. Most of the photos come out actually green and I try to adjust best I can.

Oh, almost forgot, I just ordered my Rivergate 5 speed kit. Will said he probably can't ship it until Monday so should have it by later next week.

Attachments

• OnFloorFromFront.jpg
    OnFloorFromFront.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 144
  • OnFloorFromRear.jpg
    OnFloorFromRear.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 143
  • LowFront.jpg
    LowFront.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 148