• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is this Recycling?

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
About 20 years ago I was visiting a friend at his shop. He had backhoes and dump trucks etc. In the middle of the shop floor was a pile of cloths about 6' high and 10' diameter. So I ask if he is taking in washing. To which he replies no he had just come from the Uniform company and they were going to dump this lot and he needed some rags. They are all good just dig through and find you some shirts and pants.

I took him at his word and found that there were some nice white short sleeve shirts with a Car makers logo. Service manager type shirts. I got about 20 of them along with some Dicky uniform pants.
I am still getting good use out of these shirts when I work in the shop.
So I think that could be considered to be recycling.

David

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
My T shirts and jeans go through a life cycle. Wear out and about, casual clothes, wear when doing light work like yard and weekend fix it projects around the house, wear when working on car, wear when working under car, and for the t-shirts final job is shop or polishing rag.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Back in the Old Days, when the bed sheets wore thin, you cut them up for dish towels.

When the dish towels wore thin, you cut them up for hand towels.

When the hand towels wore thin, you cut them up for face cloths.

When the face cloths wore thin ... you sowed them together for bed sheets.

:angel:

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My Mother would cut the thinning sheets down the middle and sow the edges together to make a slightly narrower sheet.

Envelopes would get opened up carefully to make note paper. Waste not want not was one of her sayings. She was the youngest of 6 and went through the Second World War in London. She would cycle to work in the City during the Blitz.

David

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Puts me in mind of childhood. Nothing got thrown away until it was completely exhausted of any use. As the kids of those who survived the Great Depression and WW-II, it was passed down to us.

"I'm a hoarder and I admit it!"

"Mebbe I can use this (whatever) in future."

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Wait'll you see my lifetime collection of nuts and bolts, screws and misc. small thingies. Once a year, I find a use for one. I dread moving or even worse, sticking my poor wife with them when I go.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I am also a hoarder or collector but most things get used eventually if I can find where I have put them.
I acquired several cardboard boxes of assorted metric screws from work. Probable 50 lb in each box. The guy in charge of the shop at the time was glad to get rid of the boxes but said " You will never use any of them" Also watch out for the weigh stations as your car may be over weight.
I finally sorted them into the various sizes and put them in bins. Hardly a week goes by without me going to the bins for a screw or nut.

Moving is defiantly out of the question.

David