• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

cool air pull knob nut

Country flag
I am in need of a replacement for the chrome round nut (with slots) that fits the cool air knob. The one that came with the car 18 years ago is too small and fits the switches for OD, lights and wipers. It allows movement and wobble. Moss and VB do not list it. Anyone have a spare or know of a source?

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
BCS was closed for vacation until Tuesday. I will try them next week. I haven't dealt with Healey Surgeons in many years and forgot about them. Thanks.

fishyboy

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
s-l1600.jpg
Hi
Sorry for hijacking this post but I've just found these brilliant 3D printed (?) Healey "pull" knobs on UK ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-H...436155&hash=item443ea69db5:g:D-oAAOxyRNJSjlzH). these are so much superior to those sold by the big supplies in the UK, who sell plastic knobs with transfer writing which easily rubs off. The 3D printed knobs have recessed letters looks very original.
Phil

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
View attachment 59144
Hi
Sorry for hijacking this post but I've just found these brilliant 3D printed (?) Healey "pull" knobs on UK ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-H...436155&hash=item443ea69db5:g:D-oAAOxyRNJSjlzH). these are so much superior to those sold by the big supplies in the UK, who sell plastic knobs with transfer writing which easily rubs off. The 3D printed knobs have recessed letters looks very original.
Phil

Thanks for the tip, Phil. I ordered this as well as the "Push" heater knob.

fishyboy

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi Steve
I spoke to the guy who runs the company - presumeably Ashley Hinton. They have been making parts for 44 years and yet I've never come across them in 30 years of Healey ownership. I have allways reveretd the AH Spares and AheadforHealey here in the UK.

They also sell the Side/Lights knob and the Wiper knob. He also makes lots of the Smith Heater parts (check out the blower) and lots of panels etc. His line runs to just over 6000 parts (various British classics). For the knobs he bought the injection molds from the original manufacturer 20 old years ago and once the knobs have been produced sends them out to an engraver who puts on the words. The engravers has been doing instrument engraving for over 40 years.

Really great to meet someone dedicated to producing quality parts in view of all the junk that is on the market!

Check out the facebook page which shows different parts been made (https://www.facebook.com/Ashley-Hinton-245648178847505/).

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I guess I'm a little disappointed. Although it great that someone is making a quality reproduction of these knobs, I was really excited that they may have been 3D printed. I know nothing about 3D printing but it can do amazing things.

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Tahoe Healey,
Did you find the bezel nut? I may have one but I will have to do some digging. Let me know.
Lin

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Can someone confirm that the original knobs had the lettering engraved vs. printed on the surface. I don't have my original knobs anymore but I thought the lettering wore off over time. If they had been engraved, I'm pretty sure I would have been tempted to try to restore them.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Well I have an old unrestored knob still on my BJ7 that is yet to be restored and it is smooth with no signs of lettering so I would assume they were originally printed on and wore off as this old knob has.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I am in need of a replacement for the chrome round nut (with slots) that fits the cool air knob. The one that came with the car 18 years ago is too small and fits the switches for OD, lights and wipers. It allows movement and wobble. Moss and VB do not list it. Anyone have a spare or know of a source?

Maybe Ashley Hinton would sell the bezel nut separately.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
After thinking more on the subject, my original headlight/sidelight, wiper knobs and Starter button are engraved. I know because I started to restore them by painting them black and them added white paint to the engraved areas. The only one that looked acceptable was the starter button which I installed. I bought replacements for the two other knobs. The new ones are engraved also.
But I still think the original heater knobs were printed on the surface.