• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Leak into boot

Country flag
Every time my BJ8 is in the rain I get water in the boot under the battery and the opposite side well. I'm now guessing after years of searching that it is coming form the space behind the hood (top) below the zip up rear window. I cannot find any reference about any seal. The guy who installed the top many years ago has retired. How can I seal that space with out removing the top?

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Every time my BJ8 is in the rain I get water in the boot under the battery and the opposite side well. I'm now guessing after years of searching that it is coming form the space behind the hood (top) below the zip up rear window. I cannot find any reference about any seal. The guy who installed the top many years ago has retired. How can I seal that space with out removing the top?
There are 5 drain hoses from where the Top/Hood is attached, that are accessible behind the interior rear side panels and rear squab. Check to make sure they are not plugged up or missing. The hoses drain water to the ground.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Water may be coming in around the bottom of the tank if the seal under the tank isn't complete. Do you have water on the floor to the rear of the tank?

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
KISS approach I used to find how water was getting in the boot. Emptied the boot, asked the neighbors child if they'd like to help me find out how water is getting in. Can you fit in here ok? Here's your flashlight. Ready, I'm turning on the hose. 10 seconds later, here's where the water is coming in.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
KISS approach I used to find how water was getting in the boot. Emptied the boot, asked the neighbors child if they'd like to help me find out how water is getting in. Can you fit in here ok? Here's your flashlight. Ready, I'm turning on the hose. 10 seconds later, here's where the water is coming in.

Whew! For a second there I thought you were going to tell us that you took a drive in the rain with the kid in the boot. I mean, that's how I'd do it.

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Roger, I have tried a light in the boot before. No joy. Kid in boot may approach child abuse. Wet kid in boot would be child endangerment.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Roger, I have tried a light in the boot before. No joy. Kid in boot may approach child abuse. Wet kid in boot would be child endangerment.

Kids like playing, especially with a flashlight, helping. Not all kids granted, but if my dad asked me to do that, with a flashlight, I'd be bonding with dad and be happy to help. (Of course I'd say; Dad, ya know; this would be much easier if I were a child, but let me see if I can get in their anyway, lol)

Last edited:
OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Just trying to make light of a bad situation. Every time it rains I have to remove EVERYTHING in the boot and put a fan in to dry it.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
John, I'm not sure what you mean. Doesn't the fuel tank rest on the floor of the boot?
There is nothing under the fuel tank but the road. It sits in an opening in the frame. There is a foam gasket surrounding the opening between the frame and tank. On mine, it doesn't look like it seals well.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had a leak in the middle of the back of the trunk at the bottom of the rear shroud. It got the trunk liner wet when I washed the can. Come to find out I forgot to install the rubber grommet at the bottom of the trunk opening on the shroud. Amazing how much water can enter a 3/16" hole. It's a small rubber bumper that's supposed to keep the trunk lid from rubbing on the shroud.
So check that you have all the rubber grommets installed.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi TH,

There is a seal that runs under the narrow panel that fixes the back of the top to the drain rail. However, i would expect a leak in this area would be caused by the channel filling from blocked drains and the leak to appear in the back of the cabin where the top is stored in its down position.

You indicate finding water in the 2 rear-most low point on opposite sides of the boot. However, was the water found after a rain when you Healey was Parked of only after your car was Driven in the rain? Additionally, since water is being collected in 2 locations, is there any indication that we are dealing with 2 separate leaks or a single leak that is flowing to these 2 locations.

If the water only collects when the car is driven, the gas tank mount and seal could be leaking and water forcibly entering on both sides. Also, since the lights and reflectors are mounted above both areas, 2 separate but similar component faults could be allowing water to penetrate the lighting fixtures. Since the 1-piece rear shroud raps over the side boot wall panels and secures and sealed to the floor, I would not expect there would be even driving water penetration in these junctions unless you have 2 separate loose or missing outer fender-mounting bolts.

Again, it is important to note if the car is parked or driven when the rain water penetrates and if we are talking one or two penetrations to determine the dynamics of the issue.

Good luck,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Ray, all seals around tail lights and bumper mounts are present and sealed. It only leaks when driven. I have sealed the wheel wells. All plugs are present and silicon sealed around the boot lid. (I am somewhat suspicious of the rubber gasket around the boot lid but the water does not trace from there.) I never paid much attention to the gas tank seal as I didn't know it was not covered by a floor of the boot.(thanks John for that information). This will be my next project. I really don't think it is coming from the hood-shroud junction or the drains there.

RAC68

Darth Vader
TH, since the leak happens when the car is driven in the rain, it is not uncommon that water enters between the tank and floor through the opening in the floor that allows the tank's drain area that extend through. Since the tank rests on a tight-cell form seal, an opening in this deal will allow driven water to flow toward the rear of the boot and saturate the boot flooring pads. Any excess water would flow in both side directions to fill the low fender sections you indicate finding moisture. I would remove the spare and check under the floor covering around the tank and between the tank and the shroud.

Hope this helps,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Thanks Ray and John. You guys seem to be in agreement so I ordered the seal (and the chrome nut I needed for the cold air know) from BCS.
Ray, I notice you have the same Healey I have. Mine was built Thanksgiving of '63 (I guess they don't have reason to celebrate Thanksgiving in England). Yours?

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi TH,

I put an order in for a BJ7 in the last quarter of 1963 with the trade of a 1958 customized Pontiac Convertible. In march of 1964, I was notified I would receive a BJ8 in late April with the option of selecting a BJ7. I chose to keep the BJ8 P1 and have never been disappointed. As our first family car, my wife drove the Healey more then I and was quite good at it. Since I never intended to get rid of my Healey, I hadn't thought it important to get any further documentation or certificates over the years as many have.

There are a few of us who have owned BJ8 P1s since new or for a significant extended period. Although the low stance of the BJ8 Phase-1 can be problematic, due to insufficient resonator road clearance, I personally like the low stance and added an additional rear leaf to improve road clearance slightly while comfortably firming ride response. Is it true that you use your Healey extensively?

I wish you extensive enjoyment of your Healey,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Ray, with 4 to 5 months so snow I wouldn't call it extensively. But I do drive as often as I can. Just got back from 1300 milt trip to California Healey Week in Temecula. Thinking of and registered for Deadwood but may trailer her (a first time trailer queen).
I use to compete in my MGBgt then bought a 57 XK140 finally moved up to the Healey and as you, I love everything about the phase1.