• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

It's after 3AM - Milkyway

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I just returned from an excursion to the boondocks where the night sky was much darker to try shooting the Milky way. I recently bought a star tracker for my camera and tonight was my first attempt to use it to take a longer exposure of the Milky way. Unfortunately at the time of the shot (around 1:30AM MT) the moon was starting to rise, which didn't help, but overall I was happy for a first attempt. Look forward to trying again in better circumstances (no moon). Hopefully I'll get better at it.

Milky Way 25 May 2019.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Contrary to the idea the moon diminishes the impact, that shot is enhanced by "moonrise"! Great shot. Nearly impossible with film.

And congrats on getting a clock. Looking forward to seeing more.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Boy, I haven't seen the milky way i so many years. I need to get out of town more. Nice Basil and I agree with Doc. The moonrise makes it more dramatic.

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I think that is a great picture, moonrise and all. I too miss seeing the Milky Way as in years past.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Gorgeous, part time amateur astronomer here, love the pic, is the done with software or an old fashioned mechanical thing that actually turns the camera?

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Basil - that is really *spectacular*. A beautiful photo, of a beautiful universe.

Thanks. Now get some shut eye.
Tom M.

Thanks Tom. Went to bed around 3:30AM. Up at 6:30. Probably be taking a nap later (Yawn) :highly_amused:

Contrary to the idea the moon diminishes the impact, that shot is enhanced by "moonrise"! Great shot. Nearly impossible with film.

And congrats on getting a clock. Looking forward to seeing more.

I was disappointed at first that the moon cam up and caused light pollution, but the more I look at it, maybe it's not a bad thing after all.

Boy, I haven't seen the milky way i so many years. I need to get out of town more. Nice Basil and I agree with Doc. The moonrise makes it more dramatic.

I think that is a great picture, moonrise and all. I too miss seeing the Milky Way as in years past.

One of the benefits of us living out west is that you don't have to drive too terribly far to get to really dark sky areas.

Gorgeous, part time amateur astronomer here, love the pic, is the done with software or an old fashioned mechanical thing that actually turns the camera?

I used this beast called the StarGuider Pro. It has a spotting scope down the center that you aim at true north (which is not exactly pointing at the North Star) and then, when you aim your camera, you turn it on and it tracks the star movement, allowing for longer exposures without getting star trails. I have an app on my iPhone that detects my Lat/ Long and the time, and shows you exactly where to place the North Star in the scope in order to be pointing at true north.

IMG_4402.jpg

IMG_4401.jpg

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I hope you don't mind- I set that shot as my background.

No, I don't mind at all. In fact, here is a link to a much larger version (18MB) that you can download if you want:

Milky Way Large

By the way, that larger, gassy looking area just about dead center of the image is the center of our galaxy. That's why I had to go out so late - so that the galactic center would be above the horizon.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Will update my travelogue in a minute, but, great shots! ANd a close island to where we are is Sark, the world's first "dark sky" island.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Will update my travelogue in a minute, but, great shots! ANd a close island to where we are is Sark, the world's first "dark sky" island.

Is it still a dark sky location today? Bet that would be a cool place to photograph the night sky.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Amazing exposure... and I might have thought this would require some dodging (digital or old school) while printing. WOW.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
James on Jeopardy answered last question about Dark Sky location with a bright name - Sun Valley. He's now won over $2 million. Here in the East, we're lucky if we see 8 stars every night.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
James on Jeopardy answered last question about Dark Sky location with a bright name - Sun Valley. He's now won over $2 million. Here in the East, we're lucky if we see 8 stars every night.

As you can see from the US view on my "Dark Sky" App, if you live east of the Mississippi finding a dark sky area can be a challlenge.

IMG_4405.jpg

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That's a really nice picture! You should use it for Christmas cards,
or postcards.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Amazing photo Bas!