Thread: steering tight in center position of steering wheel

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

steering tight in center position of steering wheel

I bought a bn6 about 16 months ago and finally got it on the road. while steering down the highway there is a tight spot to either direction while traveling on the street. otherwise all seems to be okay with the steering. is it practical to back off the locknut on the steering box and adjust the set screw a few degrees to see if this loosens the tightness when steering right or left of center? I did fill the steering box with penrite as it was almost empty.
    1959 bn6 sbc zz4 with aod transmission....... 1959 bn6 inline 6 250 chev engine and tremec 5 speed.......Porsche 911 all aluminum 434 cubic inch dart sbc engine 930 4 spd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Re: steering tight in center position of steering wheel

I like to loosen the locknut (3/4") and use a coin to lightly tighten the screw till I can just feel it touch then back off a hair. Then tighten the locknut without further tightening the screw. The stock steering is usually tightest at the center, then it loosens to either side.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: steering tight in center position of steering wheel

thanks steve. i finally got around to the adjustment. I loosened the lock nut and turned the adjustment screw counterclockwise maybe 30 degrees. i tightened the locknut and went for a test drive. amazing difference in the steering feel and the steering effort was totally free in the center position. and, the steering wheel has very little play!
    1959 bn6 sbc zz4 with aod transmission....... 1959 bn6 inline 6 250 chev engine and tremec 5 speed.......Porsche 911 all aluminum 434 cubic inch dart sbc engine 930 4 spd