• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB AGM M/C battery

MGBGM1977

Freshman Member
Country flag
I got tired of the battery and the mess in the trunk of my 1974 MGB. Kind of a pain behind the seat too. I decided to give this AGM battery out of my 1984 Goldwing motorcycle a try. 350cca 21ah battery, it starts very well. So far I am very pleased with the results. I glued a rubber pad behind and underneath the battery and secure it with a heavy duty rubber tarp strap.It doesn't move. Plenty of room and easy to get to. Only time will tell if it will last. YTX24HL-BS-BatteryMart_side_1000x1000.jpgAGM motorcycle battery.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'll be interested to hear how it fares over the long haul. Don't imagine that it weighs much, either.

OP
MGBGM1977

MGBGM1977

Freshman Member
Country flag
18 pounds. I understand a lot of people use Miata batteries. This one is close to the same specs. The old Goldwing is a four cylinder 1200cc boxer engine. This battery spins my MG engine over as fast as a larger battery and my car starts quick. I don't feel like it's loading the battery very hard. As I said though, only time will tell. I have had a lot better luck with the AGM battery as opposed to a flooded acid battery lasting much longer in the bike.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks - oh, and welcome to the BCF!

:cheers:
Mickey

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'll be interested to learn how well that works out, too. I have scant space in the same location as yours is placed (air horns and compressor, extra relays installed) but it should fit in the original position.

And as Mickey stated: Welcome to th' fray.

Be you Air Force? The F-15 avatar has me curious.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I use the Optima battery, no acid there either. PJ

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome! I have the Miata battery in my B, it's worked great for years. Definitely interested in how this one works for you.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I used the Optima battery in my 03 Cooper S, seemed like a good choice for track time. Only lasted 5 yrs. Went back to get new, and found the stock battery weighed less and I could get 7 yrs out of it. Car is 16, run hard and battery still as new. Might try the AGM next.

OP
MGBGM1977

MGBGM1977

Freshman Member
Country flag
I'll be interested to learn how well that works out, too. I have scant space in the same location as yours is placed (air horns and compressor, extra relays installed) but it should fit in the original position.

And as Mickey stated: Welcome to th' fray.

Be you Air Force? The F-15 avatar has me curious.

Used to be Air Force many years ago. F-15 Weapons Puke. 33rd TFW at Eglin AFB.
Here are the specs on this battery. The old Goldwing is down for now and I needed a battery for the MG. I thought "Why not try it".specs.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Used to be Air Force many years ago. F-15 Weapons Puke. 33rd TFW at Eglin AFB.

:thumbsup: A few years before you: 1365th, 1361st & 601st Photo... "Aerial Combat Documentation Photographer." a.k.a. "Still Photo Weenie." :smirk:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Nice shot! Never got an F-15 hop, they were still in blue & orange wingtips. A few F-4 rides with 8th TFW though. One was memorable... :scared:

OP
MGBGM1977

MGBGM1977

Freshman Member
Country flag
The 33rd TFW had F-4s up to 1978, then transitioned to F-15s. I got there in Dec. 1979. They now are training wing for F-35s. My Air Force time was short, but some of the best days of my life. Spent the next 30 years in Public Works for a small city just outside the gate of Eglin AFB. Love them jets!

Back to MGs, the Lucas alternator in my '74 was putting out 16 volts and made quite a mess of the wet lead acid battery that was in the trunk when I got the car. I am cleaning up that mess now after my battery change and a new Delco alternator. Lots of things to do to it yet, but just trying to put it on the road for this summer. It is in good condition other than a lot of interior work and a good paint job down the road. Helping to keep this old retired guy off the streets and out of trouble-haha

PB061298.resized.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Looks good. "SnugTop" hardtop... nice.

I recently converted our B to an alternator, did the negative ground change-over back in '05~'06 during the rebuild. Added a period correct voltmeter and clock from Nisonger on a bespoke center console.

Incidentally, I'm right under the turn for final approach down here at MacDill AFB. Lots of KC-135's, some C-17's occasionally. Also infrequent visits by some "odd" single-seaters: F-5 two-flight last month, assuming some foreign AF doing refueling practice.

OP
MGBGM1977

MGBGM1977

Freshman Member
Country flag
I got to fly in a KC-135 once during a fueling mission. Lay down next to the boom operator and watched F-15s and A-10s refuel. Loved that opportunity. F-5s are pretty cool jets. I knew Col. Frank Emory that commanded the Scoshi Tigers F-5 squadron in Vietnam testing the F-5s capabilities. After he retired, he lived in the city where I worked outside the Eglin gate. He sure had a lot of stories to tell.18-2.jpgFrank Emory f5.jpg