• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

From Austin Healey 3000 to MGB

Jedi Master

Freshman Member
Hi folks! I just purchased my first MGB (1973) in excellent condition and I am excited about enjoying it. Previously, I owned numerous Austin Healey 3000's. My long-term baby was a 1964 MK II. I purchased it at Plattsburgh, N.Y. in 1970 and completed the revival (half-baked "restoration") in 1973 while a graduate student at the University of Michigan. Since then it lived in Tennessee, Iowa, Florida, and finally Arizona. In 2000, I garaged the Healey in favor of a 1982 Mercedes 280 SL (5 speed, hard top and AC for AZ) and then a rare 1997 Mercedes SL500 La Costa edition (very nice but an automatic). The '82 was wrecked (very sad); the 97 fell apart (very mad) and was happily sold. Meanwhile, a health issue forced the sale of the Healey, which had deteriorated, including a badly rusted-out frame. At first I thought, "I can buy a complete new frame and swap....." Then I got real. I was without a beloved "stick shift" roadster for many years. I finally decided that at my age, it is now or never. I started looking, finding few manual trans cars, and the 1973 MGB suddenly surfaced amid a small field of BMW Z3/4's, Miata's, and lesser makes I could afford. Wow! Yea! Really? It was more than I was looking to spend, but you know the feeling. Now it's mine! A rust-free Arizona specimen in excellent condition, 82K, 4 speed, additional thermostatically controlled cooling fan, and more. I have already been researching overdrive transmissions, but it will probably be a couple years before I go there. In the meanwhile, I'm just gonna' drive, and smile, and enjoy!

Attachments

• 1973 MGB.jpg
    1973 MGB.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 21

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome to the BCF! Your car looks wonderful. Start by posting in the "MG" section and you will find friendly, knowledgeable people ready to help.

OP
J

Jedi Master

Freshman Member
Thanks for the welcome and kind words on the MG. I am excited about it but probably won't see much driving during the Arizona 100+ degree summer heat! I will be spending my time in both the MG and AH sections.