• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A assembly, TR3A rear fender and radiator stays

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
TS60014

1/. I have two new stays for the rear fender, courtesy of Moss about twenty years ago. They are still listed, but I can find nowhere on the car to attach them and Moss does not seem to know either. Any suggestions?

2/. The radiator stays seem to rest on the horns. I am sure they should not! The rad lines up nicely with the engine, so does this mean I should raise both, or just the radiator. How much space should there be there? or can I just bend the horns down a little?

3/. while I am here... there is no visible attachment for the spring that steadies the hand brake cable: probably rusted off long ago and forgotten! Bolt an eye to the floor near the differential?

Ah, the joys of assembly! Bits now everywhere after another move.

and doing it now in a tent as my rented space was just too expensive. Planning to finish by August.

Dr Mike.

Still owning a Morris minor convertible

Former owner of 1933 Standard ( student days) and 1960 MM Traveller( new)

etc.

Ha!

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Hi Dr. Mike, I think this photo showes the small bracket for the brake cable. The bracket is located on the passenger side at the rear of the prop shaft tunnel, under the passenger floor. The prop shaft tunnel has already been removed in the photo. My frame has tabs welded to it for attaching a flat metal strap between the frame and the bottom of the rear wings. I can get you a photo tomorrow when I get to work and I will post it tomorrow afternoon. I am not sure if that is what you are describing. Frank

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 140
OP
D

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I confess that I had not looked at the frame for a place to anchor the fender stay so I shall look tomorrow. I had expected it to be on the body.

i will let you know!

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
you can see the two tabs at the rear of my chassis where the rear fender supports are attached.

Graham That photo came out very small and I can't post a larger one sorry

DSC00283.jpg

LionelJrudd

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
You can see the tab on the chassis just in front of the rear spring mount. It is directly opposite the tab on the rear fender, so the brace goes horizontally from the fender to the chassis.
IMG_1608.jpg

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
If your radiator lines up with the engine, then do not adjust the stays to clear the horns. As you suggested, simply bend the horn mountings down slightly until the horns clear the stays. It is normally pretty close...and the horns have to be removed to work on a lot of the parts on the front of the engine bay.

I think Graham and Frank have you covered on the other items...

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Looks like Lionel beat me to it but here is another picture of the tab mounted near the rear spring mount. This is the passenger side.

Attachments

• IMG_0390.jpg
    IMG_0390.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 111
OP
D

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
thank you all again. the forum has been very helpful.

the fender tabs are indeed where they are supposed to be, and I shall happily bend the horns down to clear the stays. I suspect the right horn, which is larger, will gave to be notched to clear the radiator. (I recall seeing this in one sitting in my surplus box. and wondered why!)

a little much needed rain today. We have had very little this spring: the garden has become quite an issue even though it looks fabulous!

Dr. Mike

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I see you have worn the tits off your tyres David but you still have the join mark down the middle, need to do some more TRing.

Graham

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
You are right there I do need to get some more miles on the clock.
I have done 300 miles so far and still getting comfortable with the entirely different driving experience to modern cars. It has been nearly 50 years since I last drove a TR3 and everything on the road seems to be much bigger these days when you are so low down.

David

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi David, I know what you mean, 50 years ago I would have had my foot flat to the floor blowing on the windscreen to get the last once of speed out of the beast without a care in the world now it's a whole new ball game, you are listening for every new noise and at the back of your mind you wonder if this is safe.

Graham

OP
D

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
David those are nice photographs! And you add some clues as to how you dealt with the radiator-horn interference

Back to work.

with regard to those big cars on the road that always seem to exceed the speed limit: I decided that the best defence ( after offence) is to have good visibility so I will be adding LED brake lights, LED turn signals, and consider changing the rear turn signals to amber if I can find amber lenses to fit. We live in a backwater with max speed of 50 mph, and mostly less, but those big black pickups apparently do not read.

Thank you all

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Interesting...David, you had to bend your strut to clear the horns. I’ve never had to do that. My support rods are perfectly straight:

ByqRBWB.jpg

EUt6zPi.jpg

Well...never mind! I just reviewed views of my 1960, and it did, indeed, have bent rods. So Mike, I stand corrected...the later cars used bent support rods, but I do not know when the change happened.

OP
D

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
John; there sees to have been a change in the mounting of the horns. Yours angle much further inward than David's ( and mine). the radiator stay goes almost over the top ( North Pole) of David's and my horns. Car #TS 60014 if we believe the attached plate, and I found the body numbers too after 20 years MIA. Just another British diversion to keep us on our toes?

I will try for a pic in the morning

Mike

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
... So Mike, I stand corrected...the later cars used bent support rods, but I do not know when the change happened.

My car has the bent rods and is TS23677. A likely change was at TS22014...Introduction of the TR3A.

DSD_1193s.jpg

OP
D

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
attached Pics from TS60014: horn mounting quite different from John's, and the stay rests in a slot so that it can easily be got out of the way, unlike John's which goes through a hole in the bracket.
Vive la difference! or "Every man for himself" ( Women and children first")
As an ex Brit (1960) I can happily say "Bloody British" and muddle on.

The third pic is a reinforced hole on the front of the inner fender: The only use for this seems to be to attach the fibreboard air diverter so more air goes through the editor ( oops, "Radiator"): probably not needed here!

Any other possibilties?

michael

Attachments

• P1040619.jpg
    P1040619.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 111
  • P1040622.jpg
    P1040622.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 102

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
My '57 built TS20447LO has the bent stays.
IMG_3440.jpg

OP
D

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Isn’t that for one of the bumper braces on a wide mouth?

Aha!

you are quite right, and thank you. I dug out the front bumper and there it was: brand new with overriders and their stays attached.
the air deflector must get pinned under the stay.
i shall put it all away again for a while knowing that it will be there in one piece when i am ready.

the right side horn is perilously close to the radiator and
I shall keep a close eye, or ear, on it.

Attachments

• IMG_1424.JPG
    IMG_1424.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1422.JPG
    IMG_1422.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 106