Thread: Drilling a 3/16 hole in fresh paint

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Drilling a 3/16 hole in fresh paint

Drilling a 3/16 hole in fresh paint. I am installing my new door latch bracket that Frank—the great—made. I feel lucky to have some real talented fabricators on the forum. My solution was to weld a washer onto the nub. The funny thing is the washer was stuck on there strong which surprised me because I am about 50% confident of my sheet metal welds. I was able to remove the old nub by drilling out the spot welds from the back and the new on screws on, so I do not have to worry about getting in the with the welder plus the new paint. Anyways, I am looking for suggestions on how to get a nice hole through the paint and tin to run a screw into the new bracket—check it out. I think just a new bit should do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Drilling a 3/16 hole in fresh paint

Hi Steve, thank you for the compliment,you did a great job getting the old bracket off. Dewalt makes a great drill bit for drilling sheet metal. it is called a pilot point bit . The bit drills a pilot to hold it in place before the ouster part of the bit cuts the final diameter. The bit might be hard to find at the big box stores. Frank