• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Red '67

NilsGTR4A

Freshman Member
Hi Folks,

I'm Nils, in Santa Fe, NM and I've just begun the process of bringing my Dad's '67 TR4A back to life. Luckily, the car hasn't been in cryosleep for too long.

He had a mechanic working on it installing a new crate motor from Paeco Racing when the guy's back went out and he walked away from the job. It's been sitting ever since 2005 or so. I know the car was complete when he abandoned the project so, I'm not sure why there's been so much disassembly. Oh well, it doesn't matter now.

The goal is to put it back on the road in good form. It doesn't have to look pretty. My Dad and I have agreed we'd like to go for more of an SCCA racer type of look. It has a ragtop and it's been replaced at least five times. We're just going to take it off for now. Maybe install a roll bar for character.

My most immediate concern is the motor was installed but its been sitting for 15 years with no plugs in it. It's a brand new motor with packing lube. I wonder if I should be worried about debris getting into the plug holes? Should we take some precautions or just hook up the starter and hit it?

I'm looking forward to hearing your input.
Thanks, Nils.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Hi Nils! Welcome to the BCF! We have a very active Triumph forum here so you should get plenty of help! By the way, I'm in Edgewood (Southern part of Santa Fe County).

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Likewise, welcome to the asylum! As Basil hinted, it's better to ask technical questions over in the technical forum; this forum is for introductions only.

My concern would be more the ever-invasive tin worm. So I would give each cylinder a healthy dose of your favorite penetrating oil (mine are PB Blaster and Kroil), then spin it with the starter while the plugs are still out. That should expel any debris (spider nests and whatnot) that may have gotten inside.

The other alternative would be to pull the head off and inspect; but there is probably no need for that.