• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Recovering Seats

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am in process of recovering the seats on BT7. Have a question about seat bases. At the rear of the seat there are 5 square holes with sort of triangle on one side. What is the purpose of them? Is there a way to bend the point up and then press it through the seat cover from the bottom to secure it? If not how do you pull the center area tight enough to form the rear area? I have looked for youtubes, but have been unable to find any.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 21878

Randy
on my seats i left the points up. put glue on the base and the cover, then let dry. next i pulled the center tight and over the points. pushed the points thru the cover and bent them over towards the front of the seat. the glue and the points hold the cover.

D

Deleted member 21878

also, not sure how tall you are... i am 6-1. but if you are putting in new foam you might want to look up info on drilling holes in that foam. i did not do that and my head hits the top when it is up. not that often of course but when it is.... i hit.
i tried the seat without the cover and it felt fine. but once the cover is on, the foam can not spread out. so it holds you up.

OP
C

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Drone, The points do not look to have been ever used but it seemed that is what they should have been used for. The previous owner used double sided tape to hold the "flap"in place.

Country flag
also, not sure how tall you are... i am 6-1. but if you are putting in new foam you might want to look up info on drilling holes in that foam. i did not do that and my head hits the top when it is up. not that often of course but when it is.... i hit.
i tried the seat without the cover and it felt fine. but once the cover is on, the foam can not spread out. so it holds you up.

I've put in new seat base foams a couple times, and the foam always compresses over a few thousand miles (hence the relatively frequent replacement). If someone has a source for foam that doesn't (permanently) compress over time and miles I'd appreciate hearing.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

Back in the early 1980s when I was redoing my Healey, I was unaware that I could get new seat foams (no internet). Back then, I took my original seat covers off their foams and found that i had a number of splits in the foam. To address this issue, I used contact cement to patch the foam splits and reinstalled the foam. Today, those same foams are in place and, although only very slightly lower then new, they are both comfortable and support a good height. I did, and suggest others consider, adding a small amount of rolled or cut foam to the lower center of the seat-back for some lower back support. It does help.

IMG_0014.jpg

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Last edited: