• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

external sealant for oil leaks

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Back half a century or so ago, I was able to seal off some low level oil leaks on a motorcycle by spray painting the exterior of the metal to metal seam.
Now, I'm wondering if there are any suggestions for something that could be applied to the outside of gaskets/metal-to-metal/etc to penetrate and seal off non-pressurized oil leaks. I've got (as an example) a spray can of Rustoleum Leak Seal flexible rubber sealant that I used to (hopefully) seal some stucco cracks and was wondering if it might work on automotive applications. Thanks, Doug

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Might check if oil disentegrates it first. Engine running creates pressure within block, so leaks are pressurized at lower pressure (blow-by and crankcase pressure).

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Doug,
Where exactly are you experiencing a leak?

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well, this time it's on our dune buggy's VW engine. The drain plug threads into a circular plate maybe 5 inches in diameter that bolts to the sump (there's a cleaning screen behind it that needs to be removed periodically and cleaned). There's probably 6 or 8 small bolts holding it and its gasket in place and there's a seepage through one side of the gasket/plate interface that leads to drips. I've sprayed a couple of coatings of the Rustoleum sealant, but haven't taken it out for a drive just yet (snowed a couple of inches, unexpectedly, on the weekend). Permatex has a similar product (see https://www.permatex.com/products/adhesives-sealants/permatex-spray-sealant-leak-repair/ ) that they advertise as " The wicking action seals hard-to-reach leaks without the need for disassembling or removing parts. Designed specifically to target low pressure leaks in hoses, oil pans, differentials, transmission pans,". Depending on how the Rustoleum magic spray works, I'll maybe cross my fingers and try the Permatex. Either way, I'll advise the BCF as to how things went. When we fish the British fleet out in a couple of weeks, I think I'll have a look-see for any gasket/low pressure leaks and (if the VW Rustoleum works), try it. Or the Permatex product. Other suggestions? (PS: I'm also looking for a spray that restores the spring to my step and stops me from growing more forehead). Later, Doug

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Definitely interested in this, as my pan gasket is pretty much toast. If I can squeeze a bit more time before I have to pull the motor, that's always a plus.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I use barsleak in my rad as insurance. I know there are similar oil leak products. if you are just buying time this might be an option.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Unless there is some sort of physical damage, you should be able to stop this leak without any external solutions. That screen you spoke of is very thin aluminum? that fits the mating surface between the sump and that 6 bolt cover. It also requires a paper gasket on either side of the aluminum. Both sides of both paper gaskets need gasket sealer. I use the old stand-by, Indian Head IIRC, and never over torque those small nuts.