• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Home work

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
This year is the year of the house - exterior. So far have contracted painters/ new door/ they came in yesterday and tore out the asphalt to replace the drive - and found a spongy spot - it bounces -weird. Are still collecting quotes for stucco repair and a new front porch.

two thoughts

1. we found a website (Home Stars) that is amazing! you post the project and you get people who want to bid on it - no charge to you but you get to see ratings and all. last year on our own we couldn't even get people to return our calls, now we are getting 2 or 3 bids.

2. The variation in bids is astonishing. Twice now I have had a bid come in 2X what the other was - and once 3X (not quite apples to apples as a superior product but labour is the same,)

so, I am excited and actually happy to see stuff done - of course it likely means we will then immediately move but, what else is new? :smile:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
01 before.jpg

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
and then

03 new gravel.jpg

and for some reason boss it won't allow me to upload the others. :(

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
What is the file size? If they are over 3Meg that is a server limit. If so, just re-size the image first.

thanks! will try

02 during.jpg

04 tamp it down.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
it worked! huzzah

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I've got painting the exterior on my bucket list this year also. Going to attempt it myself.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
2. The variation in bids is astonishing. Twice now I have had a bid come in 2X what the other was - and once 3X (not quite apples to apples as a superior product but labour is the same,)
From what I've seen, the variation in work quality is amazing as well. The last contractor I had in screwed up everything he touched, then disappeared when I asked him to fix the obvious things. Lesson learned : ALWAYS hold back a substantial portion of the payment until you are satisfied that the work has been done correctly.

Of course, some of the problems didn't show up until the next time it rained, and I probably wouldn't have bothered to climb on the roof to inspect anyway. But I should have. Wound up climbing up there myself, to redo the sloppy work.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've got painting the exterior on my bucket list this year also.

Hmmm... not planning on "leaving us" this year, are ya, Boss? :devilgrin:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
As we've been recently reminded.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I am going to try and get some exterior work done this year. I'd like to save up and get a few new windows and start getting some cedar boards to reside my house in. I am also still looking for license plates to ultimately side the house in but I have realized that will be a life long project. If I have the money I'd also like to get a new load of gravel to spread in the drive and possibly build a carport.