• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ladder Overkill

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Is that what you would call this?
Ladder Overkill.jpg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Looks like a yard sale on ladders! :highly_amused:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Climb-it change?

D

Deleted member 8987

Oh, wait! There was a sale on Ladders at Harbor Freight! Saved all sorts of money!

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Easier than moving one around?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Elliot - you scaled to new heights with that one!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
our puns are clearly moving up in the world

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
So that is where all the ladders went. These poor guys had to make do with what was left. OSHA does not visit building sites on the Bahamas.

David

Bahamas house.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I witnessed some pretty shaky scaffolding in Thailand. Like bamboo birdcages 40 and 50 feet high around a temple. Don't need no steenkin' ladders. :scared:

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
It looks like they use grocery bags to tie the bamboo together. I have seen that kind of scaffolding going up a high rise.

I seem to remember a program looking into the bamboo scaffolding which found it very secure but some what sketchy looking.

David

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
This thread reminds me of a Tony Barnhill story I may have already shared. For those who are relative newbies, Tony was a moderator here and huge in the MG world.

When I was active serving the Episcopal Church, I made several mission trips to Honduras; worked very closely with a church outside of San Pedro Sula. The congregation there had a fairly nice facility, complete with a bell tower. But no bell. The priest there told me that a "rival" congregation down the street had a bell which they rang quite incessantly during his service on Sunday morning. He once jokingly told me that he'd like to have a bell so he could return the favor! But on a more serious note, he wanted one to announce the start of their services.

I brought the idea home and raised funds to purchase a bell which we had shipped down there for our return trip the following year. I let the priest know and he was of course excited, and said he could round up willing volunteers to install it. This is where Tony came in. We had developed a great friendship; went to several car shows together, and in one of our times together, he had told me that he and his wife would like to join us in one of our mission trips. In the Army he was involved in construction, and I thought he would be a big help with the bell installation.

The bell arrived at the hotel we always stayed in, crated and in great shape. But it was HEAVY! Cast bronze, and I don't remember the exact weight, but pretty sure it was well over 300 lbs. We loaded it in the back of our taxi and off we went. Arrived at the church, and Fr. Francisco had fulfilled his part of the bargain - crew of about a half dozen men. But no ladders; just a collection of 2x4s, 2x6s, and a few 4x4s. Tony was adamant that we needed ladders and some sort of scaffolding to do the job, otherwise it was going to be impossible.

The guys started building a couple of ladders from the wood they brought - one to reach the first platform, about 12' from the ground, and another to go from there to the floor of the area in the tower where the bell was to be hung - all of this area was open, just a simple framework.

We watched as they scurried about with this process, and then they started nailing boards across the upper area. They told us they were going to use a couple of pulleys and rope to make a block and tackle to raise the bell, and then hang it from those two boards. Tony, standing with arms folded, said "That'll never work - somebody's gonna get seriously hurt!"

Well, keeping the story short, sure enough, they raised the bell and hung it without incident. Tony was Lt. Colonel in the Army, and we all know colonels are never wrong... So, his comment as we listened to the first peals of their new bell? "Huh - I learned something." That was Tony!

Couple of pictures - Tony holding court and the pulleys being hung.

PICT0093.jpg

PICT0091.jpg

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It is amazing what industrious people can accomplish with so limited resources.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag

Attachments

• article-2552152-1B3633B800000578-209_306x423.jpg
    article-2552152-1B3633B800000578-209_306x423.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 30