• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Thinning the herd.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
For some while I have had too large a herd in the yard. Friends have asked if I have a car lot. Just seem to accumulate because of circumstance or inertia on my part.

This last week I have got it down to 3 from 5 + the TR3A which is not counted as a herd vehicle. The first to go was the 2007 Impala that had stood around for several years getting used from time to time mainly to keep it mobile. Then the Old timer the 1986 Ford F350 diesel. It had not left the yard in several years for a number of reasons. Mainly it is a pain to go to the store in and I no longer move heavy loads. I have had that one since 1995 so I hated to see it go but it's time had come.
A good week.

I am looking at the new Ford Ranger. Any feed back from owners? I will be trading an almost new Taurus in for the ranger.
The Taurus has one main flaw. No rear visibility and no reversing camera on my model so backing out of a parking space is mainly guess work. I try to drive through to allow me to pull out forwards.

David

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW, I added a rear camera to my Chevy pickup; by removing the stock radio and replacing it with an aftermarket Android head unit. Surprisingly painless, and while I have a few minor quibbles with the head unit, the backup camera works very well. About $250 including the camera and e-dapter kit; and there are cheaper ones available now.

Sorry, no input on the Ranger.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Randall

Have considered the after market camera but not got around to it. The Taurus has other features that lack as well. It was my last company lease car and it must have been the very base model, For instance the tire pressure monitor lets you know you have a low tire but nothing else so you have to check them all. It seems everything on it is like that.
On a positive note the seats are great and it drives/rides very well.

David

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
The company I used to work for had a fleet of Ford Rangers. We drove them till 275000 miles. Good truck! For the most part they always had about 400 to 500 lbs in the back.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Only 5+, hah! You are a rookie.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
One of the remainder is a 2001 Ranger with 189000 miles. I am looking at the 2019 ranger. It has been out in the rest of the world for several years but just released in the US this year.

David.

The company I used to work for had a fleet of Ford Rangers. We drove them till 275000 miles. Good truck! For the most part they always had about 400 to 500 lbs in the back.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
For instance the tire pressure monitor lets you know you have a low tire but nothing else so you have to check them all.

Not to belabor the point, but you can load TPMS as an app on the Android ... :D

But I know what you mean. The truck I bought (more or less an emergency, I was 2000 miles from home towing a big trailer when my old tow vehicle quit for the second time) is the same way. The "work truck" option means they actually remove features found in the base model (like a dome light). No climate control, no power door locks, etc etc

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Randall

Thank you.
I did not know about the App for TPMS. Have to look into that.
The Taurus was a work lease but as I went for the Ford rather than another Impala it seemed it was in the next higher lease group so I got the very base model. When I purchased it at my retirement it had a year to run on the lease and less than 10000 miles. Could not afford to pass it up. Have always intended to trade it.

David

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Update on the Ranger.

I went ahead and got the Ranger. Got very few options as I do not need FWD or Sports appearance packages. Got the factory hitch and the slightly larger screen package.
The ride is very firm and going up our driveway it sounds like an 18 wheeler pulling away as it revs in a very low gear. Probable due to the 10 speed transmission.

David